Recipe Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:39 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I rather like pumpkin Soup and a nice simple recipe is ideal. Served in a Pumpkin skin, this soup is great. Naturally, for me, it is vegan, but if you like you can use chicken stock and add a touch of cream if you so desire. I have adapted the recipe from here.

Ingredients
  • 1 x 4kg/8lb 13oz pumpkin or 2 x 2kg pumpkins
  • 4 tbsp cooking oil such as rapeseed
  • 2 medium onions, peeled, finely chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • freshly grated nutmeg
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1.7 litres/3 pints vegetable stock
  • 3 tablespoons sherry/cream (optional, check if vegan!)
Method
  1. Carefully cut the top off the pumpkin(s) and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and fibres from the middle and discard. Repeat if using 2 pumpkins.
  2. Using a sharp knife and a spoon, carefully hollow out the pumpkin, removing the flesh and setting aside. (It is really important that you do not cut right up to the inside of the skin or pierce it. Leave 2cm/1in of flesh all around the inside. This is harder with smaller pumpkin, but using small pumpkins will allow for individual 'bowls'.)
  3. Roughly chop the scooped-out pumpkin flesh.
  4. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions. Cook the onions gently for 10-15 minutes, until they are softened and golden-brown, keeping them covered with a lid.
  5. Add the pumpkin flesh, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Increase the heat to medium and cover with the lid. Cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the base from burning, until the pumpkin is cooked through.
  6. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
  7. Now fish out the cinnamon stick.
  8. Transfer the soup to a liquidiser and blend until smooth, in small batches as necessary.
  9. Return the soup to the pan and bring to a low simmer and cook for a further half an hour.
  10. 45 minutes before eating, preheat the oven to 170C/335F/Gas 3.
  11. Pour the soup into the hollow pumpkin shell, add the sherry if using and stir to combine.
  12. Place the reserved pumpkin 'lid' onto the pumpkin and place onto a large baking tray. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes, to bring the soup up to temperature.
  13. Add cream if using (optional) and serve!
pumpkinsoup_89904_16x9.jpg

Notes.
It is possible to make this using butternut squash if you are careful. You will need 2 or 3 of them. Acorn squash or Crown Prince squash will work better though in the absence of pumpkins.

This is the kind of thing I like to do to impress my family. The sad part is that they are never really impressed with my fancy presentations or if they are they don't say a word.

Back
Top Bottom