Push notifications

What is the thing with push notifications? Are they really necessary? Morning Glory

I've been waiting for someone to ask that.

+1
I'm just trialling them...
A case of watch this space.
Some people like them, some don't. It is really up to you.

It's easy on my phone at least, to enable it disable them on a per site basis. How will probably vary according to your OS and web browser, but with mine I just click on the green padlock showing that the site is a secure or https site, and it will show me my options regarding push notifications and also ad blocking (which I allow on my phone for this site because it helps to generate revenue for the site. Elsewhere, I block all ads unless it is a site I want to help out).

It's easy on my phone at least, to enable it disable them on a per site basis. How will probably vary according to your OS and web browser, but with mine I just click on the green padlock showing that the site is a secure or https site, and it will show me my options regarding push notifications and also ad blocking (which I allow on my phone for this site because it helps to generate revenue for the site. Elsewhere, I block all ads unless it is a site I want to help out).

I haven't seen them and don't know what they are for. Where are they?

I haven't seen them and don't know what they are for. Where are they?
It's where you phone tells you that there are responses on CB rather than opening your web browser and coming here to find out.

Unsure at present, but you can easily opt out and gives members the choice. Most sites I'm a member of have gone down the member choosing side of life rather than the owner saying we are not having them which is what I'd done previously.

Just wanted to be sure nothing funny was going on, prior to this someone tried to hack into my Facebook account so am rather cautious.

It's where you phone tells you that there are responses on CB rather than opening your web browser and coming here to find out.

View attachment 52059

Unsure at present, but you can easily opt out and gives members the choice. Most sites I'm a member of have gone down the member choosing side of life rather than the owner saying we are not having them which is what I'd done previously.

What a horrible typeface. But I presume that's not our settings. I very rarely use the phone for logging in. Will test to see but suspect I have such settings turned off. I know I'd find it irritating.

When I logged in to CookingBites on my phone I was asked if I wanted to enable push notifications with a choice of enable, ask me later or don't show me this again. I clicked on the latter. For me its completely unnecessary as I log in on my computer several times a day and read everything anyway.

What a horrible typeface. But I presume that's not our settings. I very rarely use the phone for logging in. Will test to see but suspect I have such settings turned off. I know I'd find it irritating.

I never, ever use the handphone for other than telephone calls and data transfer. Does that therefore exclude me?

Ignore what I said.

Web Push Notifications Explained | Airship

What are web push notifications?​

Web push notifications are notifications that can be sent to a user via desktop web and mobile web. These are alert style messages that slide in at the top or bottom right hand corner of a desktop screen, depending on the operating system, or appear on a mobile device in a manner nearly identical to push notifications delivered from apps. Web push notifications are delivered on a user’s desktop or mobile screen anytime they have their browser open — regardless of whether or not the user is on the website.

The difference between web push notifications and app push notifications​

All that’s required to send web push notifications is a website that has web push code installed in it. This means that brands that don’t have apps can leverage many of the benefits of push notifications (real-time, personalized, in-the-moment communications) even if they don’t have an app.

App push notifications are sent via code installed in an app. (Learn more about push notifications from apps on our Push Notifications Explained page.)

I'm exclusively on a phone and haven't seen them. Yay me!

I was about to ask myself. I don't see this request on my phone (I would never have enabled it), but I see it all the time on my laptop.

I am NOT about to enable them anywhere, but I did wonder what they were meant to do. Glad to see there is no imaginable reason to do so.

Back
Top Bottom