The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
12:23 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
D081DC9D-C290-401D-A3E2-5EF37A085E74.jpeg

I decided to combine all the classic elements of a puttanesca pasta preparation – olives, capers, achovies, tomatoes, and garlic - And see what would happen if they were baked into a bread. I purposely made them flat, so I could use them as a sandwich bun. And, the look is like a very savory panettone.

Yes, it’s salty...just look at the ingredients! But, it’s not overly salty. And, the roasted garlic cuts through all that brine.

Ingredients

1 yeast packet
1/2 cup olive and caper brine
1 teaspoon sugar
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups white flour
1 cup rye flour
2 cups fat free greek yogurt
1 cup green olives, sliced
1/3 cup capers
7 anchovies, chopped
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 egg

Directions

1. Combine yeast, brine, and sugar in the bottom of the mixing bowl. Allow to foam up, 5-10 minutes.

2. Heat oil on medium. Sauté garlic slices until browned. Allow to cool fully, leaving oil in pan.

88B28C8F-AFA5-40D3-BA62-B2110515B42E.jpeg

3. Combine all ingredients and mix with a blender equipped with dough hooks until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.

ED39073C-E3F2-40AD-9305-3597BE08A044.jpeg

4. Turn out contents of the bowl onto a floured cutting board. Knead the dough with all remaining dry ingredients until fully incorporated.

55D6FD60-3726-4F37-AFC9-DC74F68EB10A.jpeg

5. Spray bowl with cooking spray, and place though in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to sit in a warm place. Allow to rise until about doubled in size, about two hours.

6. Cut dough into equal portions. Place on baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray, a few inches apart. Allow to rise at room temperature for at least an hour.

7. Preheat oven to 350° F.

8. Whip egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush the surface of each roll with mixture. Bake until toothpick can be removed cleanly from the rolls, about 30 minutes.

9. Remove rolls from baking sheets, and allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom