Putting Coffee Grounds on Steak?

deremkorgy

Über Member
Local time
6:58 AM
I recently saw a video on cooking steak.The final product looked delicious. What was kind of strange was he put coffee grounds on his steak as a seasoning. He said that Koreans do it with pork, and that it makes "anything that is charred broiled or grilled taste even more charred broiled or grilled." This is the thumbnail for the video. I haven't tried it out yet, but I might soon. The maker of the recipe is Frankie Celenza, and it really only takes googling his name and looking it up on Youtube to find him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaQOc0shaQ

Yes I've come across this and tried it once with steak. You need to be careful not to use too much or it can end up tasting bitter.

I had been looking for alternatives to achieve that smoky taste in my grilled meat. I hope this trick will help me achieve that. I will try this recipe and let us see. That salsa verde looks like a sofrito to me minus the garlic. I thought he used the coffee as a marinade. I was wrong, he used it as a dry rub I guess I will not try this after knowing that.

Hmmmm....sounds icky to me! :sick: I like coffee and I like steak, but eating coffee grounds doesn't sound appetizing at all! I can kind of see how it would give the steak a charred taste, but cooking over a flame (I prefer a wood fire) would give it enough char for me. :bbq:I love the creativity though! When my dad BBQ's he burns his meat to a literal crisp, so I will suggest this to him. :D

I've heard someone mention this already but I'm curious about it. I am not a fan of coffee but my boyfriend is. Does this give just give off a coffee flavor? Does it change the taste when cooked? I have a lot of friends who are Koreans. I asked one older lady and she had no idea you cook with them. She uses them for her plant pots. Maybe this is a more recent cooking trend. Either way I'm interested in hearing what other's think that have already tried it. I am interested in trying this for my boyfriend.

Back
Top Bottom