Recipe Puy Lentils with Salmon, Samphire and Caper butter sauce.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:52 PM
This recipe is inspired by the current CookingBites Recipe Challenge for which the chosen ingredient is lentils. Lentils love salty tastes (think of the well known combo of lentils with ham or bacon). But the earthy flavour of lentils also works with slightly sweet tasting fish and shellfish. So it was thinking along those lines that led me to create this. If you haven't heard of samphire, its a plant which grows on coastlines. It sometimes known as the 'asparagus of the sea' and its tender stalks have a vibrant green colour and a salty tang. Its quite easily available in the UK in some supermarkets which is where I got mine. But it can also be foraged on coastlines. If you can't get samphire you could substitute asparagus in this recipe.

I haven't given quantities for the main ingredients. You could assemble the dish with proportions of the ingredients to please yourself.

IMGP0168.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light.

Ingredients
Cooked puy lentils
Salmon fillets
Samphire (or Asparagus)
1 Tbsp capers
40 g Butter
Splash of white wine

Method
  • Set the oven to a medium heat.
  • Poach the salmon in water until just done. This only takes a few minutes (approx. 5 mins). Allow to cool slightly and carefully remove the skin. Flake the salmon into large pieces.
  • Poach the Samphire or asparagus in water until tender (maximum 5 mins).
  • Make the caper sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan and adding the capers and a splash of white wine. Bring to the boil briefly to burn off the alcohol.
  • Arrange the lentils, salmon and samphire on a heatproof dish and put in the oven for ten minutes to ensure everything is heated through.
  • Pour over the caper butter sauce before serving.
IMGP0167.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my, that looks amazing! It's really a pity Asparagus is so crazy expensive where I currently live. And I haven't seen Samphire at all... But I will try to think of a substitute. Thank you for that wonderful recipe!

Love the look of this. We eat a lot of salmon here right now (salmon is actually relatively cheap here, and it's always fresh and SO delicious) so I'm always looking for new ways of serving it. It gets boring if I'm just doing it in the same old ways. I've never seen samphire here but I do have easy access to asparagus so I would just substitute it with that.

Back
Top Bottom