Question about peppercorns

karadekoolaid

Veteran
Local time
5:11 AM
I´ve tried peppercorns from Viet nam, but my favourites have to be Telicherry black peppercorns, which have a glorious aromatic flavour.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:11 AM
I´ve tried peppercorns from Viet nam, but my favourites have to be Telicherry black peppercorns, which have a glorious aromatic flavour.

Yeah - they are wonderful. But also a favourite of mine is long pepper.

1658511570170.png

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
and the DELIcious KAMPOT peppercorn from Cambodia. KAmpot is way better. (to me)

Interesting as I'd not heard of these - it seems I can buy these Kampot peppers here in the UK but they are expensive. Would you recommend the black, red or white?

Puggles

Local time
Then I will order some black ones and report back!
I just ordered some Kampot peppercorns. Man, these are expensive, but I hear great things about them. I always fill my grinder base with the full amount and then toast them over low heat until I can smell them in the air and then let them cool and have freshly toasted peppercorns in my grinder ready to go!

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
I just ordered some Kampot peppercorns. Man, these are expensive, but I hear great things about them. I always fill my grinder base with the full amount and then toast them over low heat until I can smell them in the air and then let them cool and have freshly toasted peppercorns in my grinder ready to go!

I really must try this trick of toasting the peppercorns for the grinder. I toast spices (including peppercorns) in this way all the time to make curries so I know what a difference it makes.

Puggles

Local time
I really must try this trick of toasting the peppercorns for the grinder. I toast spices (including peppercorns) in this way all the time to make curries so I know what a difference it makes.
It takes about 20-30 minutes every month. Get the correct amount, toast them for about 10 minutes and let them cool for about 15-20 minutes, then put them back in the grinder and you're good for about a month'ish.

Puggles

Local time
That sounds a long time to me. Toasting spices for curry only takes a few minutes in a dry pan otherwise they are liable to burn. Maybe you are using a lower heat.
Yes, I have an electric stove and it goes from 1 to 8 and I do pretty much level 1. It varies, I just go until I can smell all of them open up with that peppery-fruity scent and I know they're done. 5 minutes might be all you need, maybe more. 🤷‍♂️

Yorky

Uncomfortably numb
Local time
4:11 PM
Website
lifeinsurin.com
I use quite a bit of black pepper, cracked and rough ground. Probably around once a week I'll pulse grind a tablespoon or two of whole corns in a coffee grinder (reserved for spices) and what I don't use I store in a double sealed jar. The jar has "shaker holes" in one top which will allow the finer ground pepper to escape. If I want the coarser/cracked pepper, I remove this top and add straight from the jar.

Rough ground black peppercorns.

Top Bottom