Question about pork

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
6:36 AM
I'm making beer brats tonight and I'm currently marinading the brats in beer and sliced some onions and put them in the container as well. I would like to use the onions as a topping. Would it be worth cooking the onions down a bit to kill the raw pork bacteria on them, or should I just use different onions?

I'm making beer brats tonight and I'm currently marinading the brats in beer and sliced some onions and put them in the container as well. I would like to use the onions as a topping. Would it be worth cooking the onions down a bit to kill the raw pork bacteria on them, or should I just use different onions?

Cook the marinade onions down in the beer. You can even cook the brats in the beer, if you wish. I cook mine on the grill, then put them in the low simmering beer and onions to keep warm while serving, if have a decent crowd eating, as they can come back for seconds, and get a hot brat.

You don't need fresh onions. Actually, I'm not sure what marinating in cold beer does for the brats. I've never done that, or heard of anyone doing it.

CD

If you feel the onion imparts some taste to the brats then cook the onions if your going to be consuming them as well. You could use 2 containers and separate the brats and onions and then consume the onions raw. I suggest you pickle the onion for contrast otherwise I don't think your going to get an appreciable beer taste in the onion.

Cook the marinade onions down in the beer. You can even cook the brats in the beer, if you wish. I cook mine on the grill, then put them in the low simmering beer and onions to keep warm while serving, if have a decent crowd eating, as they can come back for seconds, and get a hot brat.

You don't need fresh onions. Actually, I'm not sure what marinating in cold beer does for the brats. I've never done that, or heard of anyone doing it.

CD
Beer brats must be a regional thing then, because around where I live, they are extremely popular.

If you feel the onion imparts some taste to the brats then cook the onions if your going to be consuming them as well. You could use 2 containers and separate the brats and onions and then consume the onions raw. I suggest you pickle the onion for contrast otherwise I don't think your going to get an appreciable beer taste in the onion.
I erred on the side of caution and sliced some new onions and put them in a separate container with beer and seasoning in them. I LOVE cooking with alcohol... drinking it.......no, gross, but cooking with it, after you cook out the alcohol, the flavor left behind from the particular alcohol you're using is delicious!

I usually simmer the brats and the onions together.

And yes…beer brats are a pretty big deal here as well. :highfive:

Beer brats must be a regional thing then, because around where I live, they are extremely popular.

They are popular here, too, but I've just never done a cold marinade of them in beer. Always a slow simmer.

CD

The onions simmered in beer are a very common topping for brats. They are soft, like caramelized onions, and very savory. Pickled onions would probably taste good, but very different.

CD

I erred on the side of caution and sliced some new onions and put them in a separate container with beer and seasoning in them. I LOVE cooking with alcohol... drinking it.......no, gross, but cooking with it, after you cook out the alcohol, the flavor left behind from the particular alcohol you're using is delicious!
I love eating foods made with alcohol and drinking the alcohol as well, LOL. I love cooking and drinking wine especially!

I love eating foods made with alcohol and drinking the alcohol as well, LOL. I love cooking and drinking wine especially!
I love cooking with wine. Other than that, it literally all tastes the same to me. Same with beer. :scratchhead:

Back
Top Bottom