question to expert cooks about buffalo wings

fathertime

Local time
3:18 PM
ok, the best single thing I've ever eaten in my lifetime was the buffalo wings at a now defunct restaurant called Paradise Alley in Harrisburg PA. These wings were free and I've gone many years trying to find wings like this to no avail. Let me describe. They were dry, had no sauce. When you ate them the heat (and they were very hot) came slowly, like it was built into the wing. The flavor not counting the way the heat snuck up on you resembled the taste you sometimes get with the right mix of Frank's sauce and butter. The skin was somewhat crispy. How were these wings cooked that the heat seemed to be part of every bite?

Hi. The dish that comes to mind is Anchor Bar's Buffalo Chicken Wings. For copyright reasons, I hesitate to post it here, however, you can find it at Epicurious.com.

The wings are baked dry, not marinated or sauced, the sauce is heated and poured over the baked wings. Bleu cheese dip & celery sticks are served on the side. Restaurants & home cooks, I suspect, can alter it any way they like. It's anyone's guess. It's a starting or jumping off point to experiment with, to duplicate a specific dish -- other than ask them how they made theirs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Another resource you could try is, Ask Uncle Phaedrus, finder of lost recipes, at hungry browser.com. There are some interesting recipes from defunct restaurants like The Magic Pan (crepe restaurant), etc.

I'm going to go with dry rubbed. There is a sub-genre, so to speak of dry-rubbed hot wings.

Just google "dry buffalo wings" and take a look at some of the recipes that come up.

Back
Top Bottom