Recipe Quick Tasty Biscuits

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:30 AM
I found this recipe a little while ago and just made them for the first time the other night. They are so simple to make and taste wonderful. My whole family loved them and asked for me to make another batch, so yes...I will be in the kitchen later today!

3 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and in a large bowl, whisk together the baking powder, flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cream and stir until it is moistened.

Form dough into 1/4 cupful balls and place on a greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper) about 1 inch apart. Bake for 17-20 minutes and serve warm.

Ooh, cream always makes things taste wonderful. Those sound very rich and very good.

That seems like an easy enough recipe to follow and I am sure that they come out nice and delicious! I will definitely be trying this recipe out, maybe even later on today!
I have to say though I am not a big fan of cream, so I might have to leave it out or maybe substitute it with something else! Any suggestions there?

That seems like an easy enough recipe to follow and I am sure that they come out nice and delicious! I will definitely be trying this recipe out, maybe even later on today!
I have to say though I am not a big fan of cream, so I might have to leave it out or maybe substitute it with something else! Any suggestions there?
Leave the cream in. Good biscuits require some form of fat in the recipe. The cream seems to be the only supplier of that in this recipe, as opposed to the more usual lard or shortening.

I would substitute with either probably ⅔ volume of oil (taking you dairy issues into account) given that the recipe is designed for a liquid fat rather than a solid fat, but it may take a little experimentation.

I saw quick and tasty and there are two of my favorite words. The recipe seems easy enough as well. Not likely something I can mess up. Baking is not my claim to fame in the kitchen but I am working on it. I will try this sooner rather than later

Don't worry Winterybella, these are super easy and as long as you pull them out of the oven on time, there is no way they can be messed up. The reason I like them so much is because there is no yeast involved. I am not a fan of making yeast bread because it takes so long.

I would have liked to leave the cream in Sherry but I have issues with dairy so leaving it out really is a must! I know what you mean though.
SatNavSaysStraightOn thank you for that suggestion, I will try it out and see how it goes.Hopefully they come out just as good as the ones baked using the original recipe.

I would have liked to leave the cream in Sherry but I have issues with dairy so leaving it out really is a must! I know what you mean though.
SatNavSaysStraightOn thank you for that suggestion, I will try it out and see how it goes.Hopefully they come out just as good as the ones baked using the original recipe.
Sorry, elles, I tend to forget that not everyone can do dairy. And when I do remember, I sometimes forget what some of the components of dairy are.:)

I find this curious, though. I mean, I get that people sometimes can't drink milk, eat ice cream, etc; but it looks like dairy used in baked goods wouldn't be dairy anymore--unless it's cheese or butter in icing, etc. Kind of like the lye used in soapmaking isn't lye once the soap is made,

Obviously I don't understand the inability to tolerate dairy very well.

It would be really tough to have dairy issues. I have none, but I know some people that do. Your food options are so limited and it seems like you have to read labels and ingredients on everything.

Obviously I don't understand the inability to tolerate dairy very well
An intolerance to dairy tends to be a lactose problem which causes stomach issues. Lactose, a natural sugar, is found in mostly cows dairy. Cheese and things like cream tend to be better tolerated because they are from the fat content of milk rather than the whey which is where the lactose is found. But it also depends on how well 'washed' the product is. Sadly lactose monohydrate is used as a cheap tablet filler (also in capsules as well).

Casein on the other hand tends to cause allergy issues like mine which is anaphylactic shock and is a protein. It is found in many different variations in all forms of milk from cows to goats to even human, which for me rules out all dairy full stop. I still can't have a lot of tablets that use lactose as a tablet filler because usually lactose monohydrate comes from a dairy source and the trace amounts of casein and whatever other proteins in allergic to are enough to trigger anaphylaxis and I have even been known to have an allergic reaction to an antihistamine tablet :o_o:

thank you, SatNavSSO. That was very informative. I surely didn't realize there were two tiers to dairy intolerance. It must be a source of complete frustration for you and others who run into such ignorance as mine and the food world (along with the pill world,evidently) being set up against you. I don't know as I could stand it; but we tend to to deal with what we have to whether we think we can or not.
You have it rough.:(

I suppose that you learn to live without the things in this life you can't have. I gave up smoking a month ago and that was a feat unto itself. Some people might say that is not the same thing as not being able to have a certain type of food, but if you have ever been addicted to smoking then you know giving up food is easy compared to nicotine. Enough of my rambling though, it is rough to give up certain foods, especially if you enjoy the taste, but you learn to enjoy other foods as replacements and just kind of get used to the lifestyle, especially if you have to do it for health reasons.

Rosy, so glad you've managed to stick with nixing the smoking. The benefits are amazing; and I've been there, so I know how hard it was--ten year mark coming up.:)
I think you're right, too, about people adjusting to not having certain foods; but, according to what SatNav said, giving up dairy must be very frustrating, especially if you even have to watch the ingredients in something as common as an acetaminophen tablet.
That aside, I think once I quit smoking I believed I could give up anything but chocolate. Now I don't think I'd have too much trouble quitting that as well. I still love it, but I don't seem to crave it like I once did.

I have an issue with diary also, I can't eat ice cream and some coffee creams give me problems with gas. Diary in cooked items have not yet been an issue that I know of.

I will be giving this receipe for the rolls as it does seems so easy, what type of cream do you suggest, I don't purchase cream so this is new to me.

Back
Top Bottom