Recipe Quinoa Vegetable Curry

Micheleteresa

Veteran
Local time
8:15 AM
Quinoa is a grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. It is pronounced KEEN-wah.
Quinoa is non-GMO, Gluten Free and usually grown organically. Even though not technically a grain, it still counts as a “whole grain” food
I wasnt really sure what to do with Quinoa at first but have found a lot of great recipes online. I use pre washed Quinoa that comes in a box, if you buy in bulk or the package does not say pre washed you should soak or rinse it using a colander lined with coffee filters as the seeds are small and if the colander holes are not very small the seeds will pass through them. I have always bought organic pre washed ready to use Quinoa so I dont know how true it is that it will be a bit bitter tasting, as some people say, if you use non prewashed Quinoa without soaking and/or rinsing it. Here is one of my favorite Quinoa recipe that I found online when searching for vegan Quinoa meals.
Vegan,Quinoa Broccoli and kale, I have made it using fresh baby spinach leaves in place of the Kale and without the microgreens , Quinoa comes in red, white and black. I always use white but you can use whichever you prefer.
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 cups broccoli florets, stems trimmed
  • 3 cups cauliflower florets, stems trimmed
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • ½ tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed or washed
  • 2 cups homemade vegetable stock or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 1/2 cups lacinato or curly kale, leaves removed from the stalks and cut into 1-inch ribbons
  • 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lime
  • ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
  • ½ cup microgreens, such as sunflower (optional)
Procedures
  1. 1

Heat the 1 ½ tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the broccoli and cauliflower and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until lightly browned and just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.. Remove from the pot and set aside.

2. 2

Add the remaining oil to the same pot, and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the curry powder and cumin, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the quinoa and toast until lightly fragrant, about 1 minute.

3. 3

Add the broth, and adjust the heat to maintain an active boil for exactly 9 minutes. Stir in the kale until wilted and add the vegetables until they are finished cooking, about 2 minutes more. Stir in lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the cilantro and greens (if using) and serv

I have always wondered exactly what quinoa was and used for. I've heard people say they use it in their desserts. The above recipe sounds delicious. Does quinoa actually taste in the recipe as a pasta?

I have always wondered exactly what quinoa was and used for. I've heard people say they use it in their desserts. The above recipe sounds delicious. Does quinoa actually taste in the recipe as a pasta?
Quinoa is a grain so tastes more like a nutty rice that is more chewy than white rice and somewhere around brown or whole grain rice. It is similar to spelt, wheat, fenugreek etc.

Back
Top Bottom