- 12 Apr 2019
- Local time
- 7:43 PM
- Hilltowns of Massachusetts
Prep & Cook Time: Total, 50 minutes.
Rest Time: None.
Quinoa with Sweet Potato and Peppers
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quarterd
- Olive oil.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder) ADD MORE! Up to a teaspoon!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or veggie stock. The boxed type (low sodium) is fine.
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped.
- salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, LIGHTLY toast the quinoa for no more than 4 minutes in a little of the oil in the saucepan you will use to cook it, on the stovetop. A moderate/low temp works best, and continually move the quinoa around to prevent burning.
Add the water/veggie stock (this may splash back) . Add the jalapeño.
When this comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes at a simmer. It is best to cover, but check to see if you need to add more water.
As far as the bell pepper goes: I add it 2 minutes before cooking is done, but if you prefer your pepper less au-dente, add it sooner, mix and re-cover. (I am known for wanting my bell peppers far more au-dente than most folk.)
When done, if needed, drain the quinoa. Add in the roasted sweet potato/shallot mixture, and any salt and pepper – and serve hot.