Quinoa

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:53 AM
These days, I find myself exploring more Beans, Grains and Pastas, what with the Pandemic, etc.

I have never used Quinoa before and it appears that folks use it often to create salads.

Aside from examples, that I have found on the web, enlighten me. How do you use Quinoa?

Quinoa (pronounce keen- wah). Some people hate it but its mostly because it became trendy some years back and was regarded as 'healthy'. I think its OK. I do have both black and white in the cupboard and you are eminding me that I rarely use it!

Salads for sure but you can simply use it as an accompaniment to meat or veg dishes (as you would with rice). Mountain Cat posted a recipe last year: Recipe - Quinoa with Sweet Potato and Peppers

I have used as a side, like a replacement for rice, potatoes, etc to go with meat (goes well with grilled meat or even stews).

I like quinoa. I actually make it in my rice cooker, and I add chicken or veggie broth to it while cooking, instead of just plain water. I'm not crazy about it cold in a salad, but I like it served still hot, some herbs/spices mixed in, and topped with a bit of butter to melt within. I usually have it as a side, but I have indeed cooked it and them mixed it with steamed spinach, or maybe some slices of meat. (Or both?)

I find it useful and tasty to serve to gluten-intolerant friends (although regular rice also serves that purpose) - something that's different.

I don't particularly want it inside of soups. (I don't care for rice there, either.)

I've used it to stuff bell peppers, or to stuff whole squid (along with other ingredients).

I use it for anything that calls for rice, couscous or cracked wheat. Stuffed peppers etc., accompaniment to curry, chilli, tagines and to make tabouli. Good gluten-free alternative for the latter two

Back
Top Bottom