Quorn

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
7:33 PM
A lot of people hate quorn, vegetarians included, but I really like some of it. I'm not keen on the quorn chicken fillets or the quorn pieces, but I really like the pepper steaks and the steaks strips. I also use the mince in bolognaise sometimes. Do you like quorn? If not, what don't you like about it? If you do eat it what do you eat and how do you eat it? Do you have any good quorn recipes to share?

I haven't had it and am not sure that I will. My understanding of it is that it causes allergic reactions with many of the people that eat it.

I don't even know that I've ever heard of this until now. I did a quick Google and haven't seen any positive reviews on it. I don't know if I'd ever try it.

I haven't had it and am not sure that I will. My understanding of it is that it causes allergic reactions with many of the people that eat it.

Really? Where have you heard that? It's not something I've ever heard.

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of quorn either. Some sausages made with it are OK, but I much prefer tofu to quorn. Quorn just seems odd to me and I can't put my finger on it.

Tofu? I'm not sure if I've ever eaten tofu Is that the wobbly gelatinous stuff, a bit like haloumi cheese in look and texture?

Tofu? I'm not sure if I've ever eaten tofu Is that the wobbly gelatinous stuff, a bit like haloumi cheese in look and texture?
yep - you can get it in various textures and with various flavours. Tofu sausages are really nice - look up cauldron foods veggie sausages - the Lincolnshire ones are the nicest IMO, they are tofu as well... but my favourite tofu is the smoked tofu with sesame seeds (delicious in a stir fry). Firm tofu is best marinated and then added to whatever, the silken tofu is an acquired taste and I have 1 recipe for which it works well and only 1!

That smoked tofu sounds good! I will seek some out at the supermarket and give it a whirl.

I came across an interesting article recently about quorn and what it is and thought I would link it to this thread rather than stay another one.

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/3318997/Whats-the-truth-about...-Quorn.html

This month, an American lobby group claimed that Quorn, a meat substitute that is popular with vegetarians, causes "life-threatening" allergies, and filed a law suit against its main American manufacturer and retailer, Kate Devlin reports. Are they right, and if so, what are vegetarians to do?
What is Quorn?
Quorn is made up, largely, of a fungus that was discovered in a North Yorkshire soil sample in the Sixties. Grown in 155,000-litre fermenters, its thin layers give it a meat-like texture and appearance.
Previously, its British manufacturers, Marlow Foods, labelled it as being of "mushroom origin", but in 2002 the Food Standards Agency concluded that this was inaccurate, and the labels were changed to state that: "It is a mycoprotein, which is a nutritious member of the fungi family."
Quorn is available in chicken, lamb and beef flavours, and is often used in ready meals. Marlow Foods claims that almost one in five of us bought a Quorn product last year.
What's the beef?
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPSI) in Washington DC claims that Quorn can be dangerous to some consumers, and it is suing Quorn Foods and Whole Foods Market, Marlow Foods's American subsidiary.
Michael Jacobson, the centre's director, said the public should know the meat alternative can cause "unsavoury gastrointestinal symptoms, or even potentially life-threatening anaphylactic shock".
It says it has recorded more than 800 cases of allergic reactions, including 50 in the UK. The suit is on behalf of Avery Goodman, who claims he suffered a five-hour bout of cramps, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea after eating Quorn Naked Cutlets last September.
Nick Hughes, managing director of Marlow Foods, denied the claims and said that the CPSI is lobbying for publicity.
Should I stop eating Quorn?
The FSA estimates that one in 146,000 people could experience a reaction to Quorn. "But the problem is that for those who do experience an allergic reaction, it can be extremely painful," says Dr David Barling, a senior lecturer in food policy at City University, London.
That a small proportion of people could experience mild allergies was taken into account when it was licensed, according to the FSA.
The bottom line?
The FSA says it would "monitor the situation and consider any new scientific evidence". And, according to Dr Barling, there is no way of predicting an allergic reaction: "Unfortunately, the only way you can find out if you are allergic to Quorn is to try it."

A lot of people hate quorn, vegetarians included, but I really like some of it. I'm not keen on the quorn chicken fillets or the quorn pieces, but I really like the pepper steaks and the steaks strips. I also use the mince in bolognaise sometimes. Do you like quorn? If not, what don't you like about it? If you do eat it what do you eat and how do you eat it? Do you have any good quorn recipes to share?
It's not bad. I like the quinoa burgers. I don't think I've tried any other kind from them

Back
Top Bottom