Rabbit

:cry::cry::cry:I might have said this before, but I can't eat it if I know it's rabbit. I just have these memories of my brother having these rabbits as pets. So when a friend brought me some many years ago, I had hell trying to prepare it. I don't remember every detail, but I know I made several attempts to cook it before I went all the way. I believed I baked it in some kind of sauce. It's expensive in these parts, but I don't go near it.

I have only ever cooked rabbit twice. Both times I made a rabbit stew. I didn't use a recipe, I just made it up as I went along. I think I used celery and carrots in with the meat. My grandma once told me a good tip. Rabbit is tricky to take off the bone because it has so many small bones. She taught me to boil the rabbit first and then it is easier to remove the meat from the bones and then braise the meat with the vegetables and add the stock made from boiling the rabbit. It was delicious and even my children enjoyed it.
Must admit I've never had a bone in rabbit, which part of the rabbit were you eating ? It is about the same as chicken size-wise so it's never been a problem. If you really want bones try fish

I was just having a look at the menu for a restaurant in the UK that I went to quite a bit when I lived there. Rabbit was on today's lunch menu, along with grouse, grilled lamb hearts. ox liver and kid faggots!

So many people are turning to eating rabbits lately. The few times I have eaten rabbit meat I found it too soft for my liking. I am sure it would taste better if I can find more ways of cooking it, just that I haven't bothered with it this far. Perhaps use the meat to make pies, I don't know. :unsure:

I was just having a look at the menu for a restaurant in the UK that I went to quite a bit when I lived there. Rabbit was on today's lunch menu, along with grouse, grilled lamb hearts. ox liver and kid faggots!
So can you let us know the restaurant link? Sounds fab.

So can you let us know the restaurant link? Sounds fab.

St John in Smithfield, London: the motto of the restaurant is "Nose to Tail eating" and I guess its most well-known dish is roast bone marrow.

On today's lunch menu - snails, lamb's brain, pig's cheek, kid liver and tripe.

I used to cycle past it every day on my way to and from work and often stopped off to check what they had on the menu (which changes daily). Now the menus are always on-line.

in Italy it's tradition to eat rabbit. my father remember that when he was young, when farmers kills rabbits, there was a man that drive the bike home by home tu buy the furs (that when the rabbit was skinned, like taking away a dress, were dried under the sun)

my favourite recipe is with olive taggiasche and pine nuts, "alla ligure"

for some cultures, rabbit is a pet, like cats and dogs...I understand that for who that grown with those cultures is not acceptable to eat the rabbit..!

Back
Top Bottom