Rain Checks

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:55 AM
When was the last time that a store gave you a rain check for an on sale item that was out of stock, so that you could come back at a future date and get the item at the sale price? Have you ever asked for a rain check?

I can't remember when, maybe the closest thing is ordering something online and having it go on backorder. That's the modern-day rain check. :laugh:

When I managed the point of sale software for an electronics retailer a decade ago, we had the raincheck feature in our software. It was mostly used as a courtesy to customers, a carry-over from the old days.

The concept was pretty much replaced by the cashier's ability to either order online for the customer, or transfer from another store to be picked up by the customer when it arrived. You have to figure that if there is no inventory to fulfill either an online order, transfer from sibling store, or to complete an off-the-shelf purchase, then the promotion has already fulfilled its purpose.

Also, with today's fast-paced multi-channel retail structure, most promotions have an expiration date. Raincheck + Expired promotion = frustrated customer. So the simple solution is to remove rainchecks.

For more persistent promotions, backorders would be allowed, IF AND ONLY IF the retailer knew more of the same inventory would be coming soon. This means the retailer takes payment at the time of customer ordering, so their financial risk is low.

To my knowledge there is no such thing in the UK.

Yeah - its an American term. I'm not sure of the origin. Maybe something to do with American football?

In the UK, some online shopping sites have a feature that you can 'tick' to let you know when an item is back in stock. This wouldn't mean that when its back in stock you get it at the sale price.

Yeah - its an American term. I'm not sure of the origin. Maybe something to do with American football?

In the UK, some online shopping sites have a feature that you can 'tick' to let you know when an item is back in stock. This wouldn't mean that when its back in stock you get it at the sale price.

Yes. It's an American thing. Originally and probably still, it applied to outdoor sports and other events that had to be cancelled due to weather or other reasons. A ticket was given back to all attendees, so that they could return at a later date. Else, their original ticket or ticket stub would work. Today, sports events have been being cancelled because team players have been exposed to the virus and the events have had to be rescheduled, with the rain check being their ticket stub or ticket.

Rainchecks for retail items came about as a response to "bait and switch" tactics many retailers used. They would advertise a great price on something, and only have a small amount in stock, so you would either have to buy a more expensive alternative, or not get what you wanted.

The "big, evil gubment" decided to change that. Sellers can still advertise something that way, but they have to clearly state in their ads "Limited Quantities" and/or "Price Good While Supplies Last."

CD

l, it applied to outdoor sports and other events that had to be cancelled due to weather or other reasons. A ticket was given back to all attendees, so that they could return at a later date.

Ah - that explains the origin. In the UK 'check' means to check on something (have a look at it) or alternatively to stop progress (as in checkmate in chess). It doesn't mean a 'credit note or ticket'. Here the nearest word is 'cheque', as in a monetary order.

Ah - that explains the origin. In the UK 'check' means to check on something (have a look at it) or alternatively to stop progress (as in checkmate in chess). It doesn't mean a 'credit note or ticket'. Here the nearest word is 'cheque', as in a monetary order.

Those UK meanings apply in the US as well.

Back
Top Bottom