Recipe Raspberry Cheesecake for board games weekend

Cinnamonita

Local time
5:16 AM
This weekend I had a ball dreaming up a raspberry cheesecake for some friends at a board game weekend. I did a lot more cooking than board games, because that's how I love to play most :) Photos below.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar, divided
3 (8 ounce) packages Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Sour Cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Garnish
Vanilla bean
Fresh fruit
Pine nuts, candied (toast pine nuts and put aside; melt 1/3 cup sugar and 2 pinches salt in pan; add pine nuts and mix. Take off heat and sprinkle on lemon zest. Spread out on glossy ceramic plate to cool. Store once cool in sealed container).
Devonshire cream
Lemon zest
Ground cherries
Edible flowers

Method

• Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Mix graham crumbs, lemon zest and butter; press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan.
  • Beat cream cheese and remaining sugar in large bowl with mixer until blended. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour 2/3s over crust and put in freezer for 20 minutes
  • Beat raspberry syrup into the rest and then add to top layer
  • Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 min. or until center is almost set. Run knife around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim. Refrigerate cheesecake 4 hours.
  • Trip off the top of the cheesecake so that the raspberry sauce soaks in better
  • Beat mascarpone with raspberry sauce and put in piping bag.
  • Pour left-over raspberry coulis on top
  • Arrange piped mascarpone-raspberry flowers, fresh raspberries and figs, flower petals, edible flowers, toasted pine nut crunch, mint petals, lemon zest, and halved ground cherries on top.
I'll just add that baking the home made raspberry syrup into it is not the best way to preserve that brilliant red colour, but I wanted to try it out. Probably best to use food colouring if you want a pop of bright red, and then flavour it with the raspberry sauce after it's baked.

What's your favourite kind of cheesecake to make?

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.38.15 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your favourite kind of cheesecake to make?
I'm not usually a cheesecake fan: there's so much mediocre cheesecake out there, and unfortunately this is the class of cheesecake I normally get served. But, a really good cheesecake stands out. Something like this one - fruit-based - is the best kind, particularly when the fruit is in-season (like cherries are now). Yours looks like it's incredible.

I assume (based on how you did this one) that you prefer a baked cheesecake to a no-bake recipe?

I'm not usually a cheesecake fan: there's so much mediocre cheesecake out there, and unfortunately this is the class of cheesecake I normally get served. But, a really good cheesecake stands out. Something like this one - fruit-based - is the best kind, particularly when the fruit is in-season (like cherries are now). Yours looks like it's incredible.

I assume (based on how you did this one) that you prefer a baked cheesecake to a no-bake recipe?
Actually I sometimes make a no-bake triple chocolate or mango layer one (gelatin for firmness), and once I made one with a whipped cream stabilization scheme that is not baked... The triple layer one is the most decadent and silky one I think I've ever done. I wouldn't say I like one or the other more—they are different beasts in my opinion. I consider baked a little more pedestrian, if you will. it's a crowd-pleaser, what people are used to, and super easy. The gelatin no bake ones are the ballgown variety in my experience. What's your preference?

What's your preference?

I feel more educated about cheesecake after reading this (and doing some Googling).

I think I need educating. I suspect I've only ever eaten cheesecake once or twice (can't remember!). And that would be because it was served at a dinner party and it would be rude to refuse. I really don't have a sweet tooth. But I can imagine a good cheesecake might have a delightful citrus flavour and not be too sweet.

Every time that I make one, it falls a little in the middle!! But I eat it anyway. Don't want it to go to waste!! Something about the oven door is suppose to be kept closed for at least an hour after it's done?!! :headshake:

Every time that I make one, it falls a little in the middle!! But I eat it anyway. Don't want it to go to waste!! Something about the oven door is suppose to be kept closed for at least an hour after it's done?!! :headshake:

Try a lower cooking temperature and a longer cooking time.
Most recipes call for 180c and 45 mins cook time I find 160c for and hour and 5 works much better. I've always feared that leaving in the oven for an hour after it is switched would off ruin it so I've never tried that method but give my way a shot see how you get on

Just curious, do you ever do a water bath for the cheesecake while it's baking? I actually never leave mine in the oven after it bakes.

My favorite is a triple chocolate cheesecake my brother-in-law came up with. It's a layer each of white, milk and dark chocolate. He served it with a dark chocolate sauce, but I don't as I think it's too much. If I serve it with anything, it is a raspberry coulis. It's a baked cheesecake.

@Shermie , it's leaving the oven door partially open so that the cheesecake doesn't cool too fast that is supposed to help with cracking. It also helps to run a knife around the edge so that if it falls the outside won't stick to the pan and cause cracking. You are probably over-beating and incorporating too much air in the batter, which makes it rise too much, then fall and crack.

My favorite is a triple chocolate cheesecake my brother-in-law came up with. It's a layer each of white, milk and dark chocolate. He served it with a dark chocolate sauce, but I don't as I think it's too much. If I serve it with anything, it is a raspberry coulis. It's a baked cheesecake.

@Shermie , it's leaving the oven door partially open so that the cheesecake doesn't cool too fast that is supposed to help with cracking. It also helps to run a knife around the edge so that if it falls the outside won't stick to the pan and cause cracking. You are probably over-beating and incorporating too much air in the batter, which makes it rise too much, then fall and crack.

I don't have the spring-form pan to do it with yet, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom