Raw dairy, low lactose?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
5:33 AM
My doctor has recently advised me to switch to raw milk as lactose levels are much lower than pasteurized milk. I grew up on a farm where all our dairy products were consumed raw, and none of us have ever been ill. I've been having some digestive problems lately and spent time having some tests, the results of which suggest that lactose is the most likely culprit of my problems. Apparently raw milk has high levels of lactic acid which decreases the lactose, whereas in pasteurized milk, the process kills the lactic acid which allows the lactose levels to remain high.

I've found a lovely local organic farm who supplies raw milk to a lot of people around the country, and I'm going to make the switch to see if things get any better. Does anyone here use raw milk, and do you find it better for your health? I'm aware of all the scare stories that come about with raw dairy, but really, coming from a farming background I know that healthy organic cows fed on their natural diet of grass are 100% healthy. But unfortunately, the milk from grain fed cows will always be unhealthy and unsafe if not pasteurized. I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

It's a hard one to help with because in a lot of western countries raw milk is now banned and had been for a very long time which is a shame because I used to love it and much preferred it to pasterised milk.

It is possible to get lactose free milk where I live quite easily, but I'm guessing you are not in the UK otherwise your dr would not have made this suggestion.

The alternative is to go dairy free for a while and see if the issues clear. I used to consume a lot of milk (up to 1.5 litres a day because there is little other than milk and water that I can actually drink), but sadly I now have a full blown allergy (anaphylactic shock) to all dairy products, so I know how hard eliminating dairy from your diet could be even for a short time as an experiment. It is often found in everything from bread, margarine to medication, not to mention the more obvious sources.

My preference was always for raw milk BTW. If we listened to every scare story surrounding food, there would be nothing left to eat or drink. Even water is dangerous if to much of it is drunk!

Last edited:
My doctor has recently advised me to switch to raw milk as lactose levels are much lower than pasteurized milk. I grew up on a farm where all our dairy products were consumed raw, and none of us have ever been ill. I've been having some digestive problems lately and spent time having some tests, the results of which suggest that lactose is the most likely culprit of my problems. Apparently raw milk has high levels of lactic acid which decreases the lactose, whereas in pasteurized milk, the process kills the lactic acid which allows the lactose levels to remain high.

I've found a lovely local organic farm who supplies raw milk to a lot of people around the country, and I'm going to make the switch to see if things get any better. Does anyone here use raw milk, and do you find it better for your health? I'm aware of all the scare stories that come about with raw dairy, but really, coming from a farming background I know that healthy organic cows fed on their natural diet of grass are 100% healthy. But unfortunately, the milk from grain fed cows will always be unhealthy and unsafe if not pasteurized. I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
I choose to leave milk alone period. Humans are the only species who continues to drink milk after their early stages in life. You can learn a lot from nature. I use almond milk every now and then, but I don't see any need to drink cows milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows.

Back
Top Bottom