READ carefully

Local time
6:54 AM
So I am pretty new to baking from scratch and sometimes a little over zealous. I decided I would make some chocolate cookies from scratch. I like to bake late night and usually it's not a problem..Anyway, I start to make some cookies and even as a novice it should have struck me that these were going to be a lot of cookies when I saw the amount of ingredients being called for.

Long story short, my cookies turned out to be mini buns of sorts. I somehow missed that they were to yield 48 an amount I never wanted. Had I read the details carefully, I could easily have adjusted the measurements to the desired amount and the computer would have automatically given me the right instructions.

Has it ever happened to you in your baking, where you did not read carefully and things went wrong?

Once or twice as I was coming up, but after that you learn to read more carefully huh? \

Usually, it's when I'm helping people or cooking something in a giant feast. You overlook quantity count. I made potatoes once that the recipe yielded eight servings (or so I thought) but I was reading banquet instructions and that meant four tables. I noticed something horribly wrong when I had two huge mixing bowls of potatoes made up and I thought "this doesn't seem right!" - 24 servings! I only needed eight, too.

I hardly think I will be making the mistake any time soon. It's once bitten, twice shy this time around. It's so important for me that I get those instructions right. It makes the difference between and failure. I honestly don't like when I make those fouls up but it teaches me something for the next time.

The downside to baking is that you have to be precise unlike cooking where you can play with ingredients and add to taste.

The downside to baking is that you have to be precise unlike cooking where you can play with ingredients and add to taste.

That's the part that scares me and I am sure that is probably part of the reason I never pursued baking back in the day. I like to do my own thing when I am in the kitchen. Baking does not allow you that privilege.

I've done the classic 'salt is sugar' in a recipe when I first started. I remember my god daughter tasting the cup cakes & telling me they were too sweet. Only leaving me to wonder what in the world is wrong with this child's taste buds? So frustrated about it at the time but fun to reflect on now.

That's the part that scares me and I am sure that is probably part of the reason I never pursued baking back in the day. I like to do my own thing when I am in the kitchen. Baking does not allow you that privilege.

I used to bake a lot when I was younger but then there were 5 of us in the house, now it is just me and my husband and tbh neither of us are all that bothered now.

Back
Top Bottom