Real Wasabi - I'd Been Looking For This For A Very Long Time ...

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
6:54 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I had watched a You Tube video about real vs fake Wasabi Paste ... you know one in a tube?

IMG_1060.JPG

The only way I knew which was the real stuff was from a screen shot that I have been carrying in my phone for years now.
I did a "Giggle" search and found it!!!
My order just arrived... so let's try.

IMG_1061.JPG

The fake Wasabi Paste is to the left ... much lighter in color.

IMG_1062.JPG

(the real stuff is to the left)

I got two tubes of the real stuff, but have 4 of the fake Wasabi still in my pantry.
DH did a blind taste testing this afternoon with a plate of (store-bought) Sushi and Kamaboko (Japanese steamed Fish Cake) ...

IMG_0161.JPG

(file photo - I forgot to get a snap of today's plate, but it's the same)

He deemed the real stuff superior!

I love the stuff. I have the same pack in the cupboard. Or at least it looks the same. But mine has colour in the ingredients list. How do they make it green without adding colour? What is 'fake' about the other types?

I bought some S&B wasabi in Mexico. WOW!! What a difference to the wimpy stuff you usually get in Sushi bars. A real bite, like English mustard or fresh horseradish. So,so much better.

I had watched a You Tube video about real vs fake Wasabi Paste ... you know one in a tube?

View attachment 75644

The only way I knew which was the real stuff was from a screen shot that I have been carrying in my phone for years now.
I did a "Giggle" search and found it!!!
My order just arrived... so let's try.

View attachment 75645

The fake Wasabi Paste is to the left ... much lighter in color.

View attachment 75646
(the real stuff is to the left)

I got two tubes of the real stuff, but have 4 of the fake Wasabi still in my pantry.
DH did a blind taste testing this afternoon with a plate of (store-bought) Sushi and Kamaboko (Japanese steamed Fish Cake) ...

View attachment 75647
(file photo - I forgot to get a snap of today's plate, but it's the same)

He deemed the real stuff superior!

That's the same brand stuff I have.

Back
Top Bottom