Recipes that you learn

Miaka_M

Veteran
Local time
3:40 PM
When you learn a new recipe, what do you do? I actually have a file on my computer that I just insert every recipe that I know so I don't forget. My mother is the head chef at a restaurant here in Toronto and she shares some of her secrets with me when she has the time. I don't want to forget them and when I move on in life I don't want to constantly bother her about what and how to cook something (my aunt does this with my mother). So, where do you store all your recipes that you know?

I have a notebook that I keep them in with notations of how I want to change it. I love to get new recipes but often experiment with them so that I get a different spin on the flavor.

I never write anything down. I may find some recipes online, but I just memorise the ingredients and that's it. I don't really care about the amounts, I never measure them anyway! Food experiments!

I bought a little folder for my recipes. It allows me to add pages and I can organize different categories and subcategories. One example would be: baking > doughs > pizza dough

Whenever I come across a recipe, I add it in there. There is a section for things that I haven't tried yet and one for my own experiments. Everything is very easy to find and my cooking folder became a little treasure of mine that I can see growing. ^_^ I find this a lot better than saving recipes on my computer, because I can take it with me more easily. Also, I hope my little collection of handwritten recipes will stay in the family and perhaps it will be passed down to my children.

For my daily cooking I don't need recipes, but every now and then I feel like digging something up that was delicious. Sometimes it helps finding something when I just don't get an idea on what to cook that day.

I usually just remember them as I don't really have much complicated recipes in my head that I'd forget ingredients or mix them up with others, but also mostly because I don't really cook regularly either for myself or for others and merely just do so for fun on occasion. I do have a lot of bookmarks to cooking videos that I reference from time to time, though, for when I am wanting to re-visit some of the recipes I promised I would try.

I have just posted about starting a scrapbook. However, having read this thread, I am now having a rethink. I do everything on the computer so perhaps that is the way forward for me. I never completely stick to a recipe though, I just use them for reference and inspiration.

I get a lot of my new recipes from Pinterest now so I just repin it to one of my own boards that I titled "Tried and True". If I see it on another website that's not pinterest or whatever, or if it's like a recipe from family and such, I would print it out and put it in my recipe binder :)

I just copy and paste recipes, save them as an individual file and place the file under a random if not a designated folder. I haven't formulated a system for organizing copied recipes yet so I tend to just take a picture of the recipe I want to do using my phone and read the instructions from there during the cooking or baking process. This usually happens when I'm too tired to copy and paste recipes.

I usually take my time with a new recipe, then once I have done it a few times I will have remembered it and my adaptions, either with ingredients or with adding or skipping a stage. I often improvise and use the recipe as a rough basis and it still works, most of the time. A favorite I will bookmark on my laptop or tear from a magazine or newspaper and keep them. I must have thousands of clippings dotted everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom