Recipe Red onions Christmas side or festive dish

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
4:04 PM
This weekend I have started on the preparation for Christmas foods.
This dish is also suited for the vegans.

Red onions Chrismas side.:
Serves 3-5 as side dish.
Ingredients:
700g of coarsely sliced small red onions
3-5 cloves
2-3 sticks of cinnamon
0,5 l of water
1 bottle of Kriek Boon (cherry beer) http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boon-kriek/4505/
2-4 tablespons of sugar
1-2 tablespons of almondoil or Cocosa

Instructions
Slice the onions and soften them in a casserole with the oil, when soft add the beer, water, cinnamon and cloves ,
simmer and reduce until only a bit of water is above the onions then add sugar to taste, then continue to simmer, stir occasionally until reduced with just a bit of liquid left.
This is a side dish for Christmas food, so the idea is for it to be a bit sour in taste like sauerkraut or surkål,
that will help aid in digestion with more fatty foods, its also an excellent dish for vegans.
If you like to make it more of a main dish , about 275 grams of onion per person( or more if they really like onions)

Happy holidays!

Have you checked that the beer is suitable for Vegetarians? Most beer and wine is not bracts of the filtering methods used which usually users fish swim bladders to remove particles in the liquid creating a clear beer/wine. Usually only unfiltered beer is suitable and for vegans you also need to check our the source of the sugar. Refined sugar is not suitable either, so pretty much any white sugar is out. I cab link you to a post here as to why in the morning. I find links difficult on my smartphone sadly.

Back
Top Bottom