Red, orange, yellow, green...

Which colour peppers do you use the most?

• Red

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Orange

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Green

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:21 AM
Bell peppers - do you have a preference for a particular colour? How would you describe the difference in taste? What is your favourite way to use them? You can vote for up to 2 in the poll.

N.B. I know peppers are technically a fruit but they are generally regarded as a veg - so I've put this thread in the vegetable section.

Last edited:
Oops, didn't realize you were specifying bell peppers. Although we use them in a lot of dishes, green bells are my least favorite for stuffing.

I prefer the sweetness of yellow and orange bell peppers. Red bell peppers are just fully ripened green bell peppers, but do have more sweetness than green bells. But, yellow and orange bells taste best to me.

CD

Then there are the red, orange, yellow aloha peppers.

They are very pretty - seeds not available in the UK.

...and then there is black - these I really want:

1591880500454.png

MrsTasty can't stand the taste of green bell peppers. Between red, yellow, and orange, I usually grab the one whose color will best complement what I'm making, because those three all taste the same to me.

Red 1st, orange 2nd, yellow 3rd, and never green.

Green seems less popular but is it not an essential in the Cajun holy trinity? I've certainly found it to be perfect in that context.

Green seems less popular but is it not an essential in the Cajun holy trinity? I've certainly found it to be perfect in that context.

Yes it is. I don't mind it in a multi-component dish where it is in a small dice and is cooked, but if there are large pieces, like sausages and peppers or a steak and pepper sandwich, or uncooked, it's red, yellow or orange all the way. I do like green shishito peppers though.

It does work well in the trinity. But, it is not a standout flavor in Cajun dishes, that I can taste. It is more of a supporting actor.

Also, just like I did with my Cuban black bean soup, I can't see a big problem substituting red bell peppers for green if you need to. In my case, the green bells at the store were in poor shape, so I went with reds. Like I mentioned before, the two are the same pepper, from the same plant. The reds are just more ripe. My homegrown jalapeños do the same thing -- turn from green to red if I don't pick them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom