Red wine in soup

SeniorVegan

Local time
2:32 AM
I found a recipe for a vegan soup which called for 1 1/4 quarts of red wine. This seems like a mistake but I don't know how to verify it. Is that large a quantity even reasonable? Perhaps it meant cups?

Welcome to CookingBites SeniorVegan. As I understand it (measurements are different in the UK) 1¼ quarts = 5 cups. That is approx. 1 litre in UK measurements. That does seem a lot in terms of red wine! Its more than a bottle.

Its difficult to judge without quantities for the other ingredients in the soup. Would you be able to indicate the additional ingredients and quantities?

Yes, that seems a large quantity. I only use a 750 ml bottle for braising some things.

I am reminded of the quote from W C Fields - "I cook with wine; sometimes I put it in the food"

A US quart is about the same as I litre. It does seem a lot, but it depends on the total volume
It would help if you'd have given us the whole recipe

I also think that amount is way too much. You won't taste anything else. 1-1/4 cups sounds more reasonable.

CD

I found a recipe for a vegan soup which called for 1 1/4 quarts of red wine
It does seem like a lot especially given that you'd need to ensure that it was a vegan red wine as well.

However, if the soup serves 10, it would be fine. If the soup only served 4, it would not. But what is the soup and what is the dominant flavour of that soup? Is there any other liquid like a vegan stock or water in that soup? It is hard to really answer without knowing.

Back
Top Bottom