refrigerator question

foodterminology

Veteran
Local time
6:00 AM
I have a very nice Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator purchased in 2015. The freezer has what the manual calls an Auxiliary Freezer (Temperature) Control. I was disappointed to find I could not move it out of the middle (Recommended) position the first time I tried to make a temperature adjustment in just the freezer. I was able to manage to keep both compartments more or less within the temperature range I desired using only the Refrigerator/Freezer Temperature Adjustment Control in the refrigerator compartment.

In between 2 appointments with a service company (that never showed !!) to look at the problem under the extended warranty I found that for some reason the Auxiliary Freezer Control now moves out of the middle (Recommended) position. I moved the control to a colder position and according to the thermometers I have in each compartment the temperatures are very good.

My question is should the settings I now have for each temperature control be good for a long time or could factors such as room temperature, quantity of food in each compartment, etc. require that I change these settings from time to time? Thanks .

Last edited by a moderator:
DITTO @classic33 also a full freezer maintains its temperature better than a partially full freezer. The units are so well sealed and insulated that I do not think normal household, external temperatures will make much difference. We have 2 upright freezers in G's shop. It is not climate controlled so it gets very hot during the summer. We have never had an issue with the internal temperature of the freezers.

In most mid to low-end fridges, there is no separate setting for the freezer. Mine is that way.

This is probably done to keep costs down on the actual buying prices of the units.

A freezer attached to a frig is only good for short term storage Not an option for storage over three or four months. Even that is a stretch.

A freezer attached to a frig is only good for short term storage Not an option for storage over three or four months. Even that is a stretch.

Which is why you might need one of THESE.

It helps to extend food life in the freezer for up to 5x its normal shelf life in the freezer!! :wink:

Ziploc Vacuum Sealer..jpg

We have and use a Vacuum storage machine. It really does extend the freezer time. We package seafood in water filled Zip locks. My issue is self defrosting vs manual defrost freezers. The shelf life of food in a self or auto defrost freezer is shorter than in a manual defrost freezer. The heat cool cycle causes freezer burn sooner than in a manual unit. We have an auto defrost freezer as part of the refrigerator. I use that for short term storage. We have 2 21 cubic ft. upright, manual defrost freezers in G's shop for long term storage. A royal pain to clean but worth the effort. His shop is not climate controlled and gets hot during the summer. The eternal temperature does not impact the internal temperature.

We have and use a Vacuum storage machine. It really does extend the freezer time. We package seafood in water filled Zip locks. My issue is self defrosting vs manual defrost freezers. The shelf life of food in a self or auto defrost freezer is shorter than in a manual defrost freezer. The heat cool cycle causes freezer burn sooner than in a manual unit. We have an auto defrost freezer as part of the refrigerator. I use that for short term storage. We have 2 21 cubic ft. upright, manual defrost freezers in G's shop for long term storage. A royal pain to clean but worth the effort. His shop is not climate controlled and gets hot during the summer. The eternal temperature does not impact the internal temperature.

Self-defrosting, yes, but they are more accurately described as "hidden frost' because you don't see the frost that forms on the evaporator coils behind the back wall. The chilled frigid air first enters the freezer compartment, then the fresh food section. Whole frost-free freezers are really & ridiculously expensive! They seem to only come in the 19 to 23 cubic foot bracket and they can take up a lot of floor room.

I'm thinking about buying a 3.0 or a 4.5 cubic ft. upright model. Takes up far less room than a chest, & there is no digging for something that may be on the bottom. :wink:

Last edited:
DITTO on the upright vs chest. Smaller footprint and easier access. Hate chest freezers.

Each one has different advantages;

With a chest, some of the cold air is maintained near the bottom, but you have to dig for items there.
For the upright, you don't have to dig as much for things, but warm air comes in & the cold air rushes out at the bottom as soon as you open the door to get something.

So it's kinda like; Pick your poison! Hah!!

Last edited:
I bought a fridge/freezer thermometer to check the temperatures in my appliance. I discovered that the fridge was generally around a temperature of 2 degC and the freezer -17degC except during the auto defrost when it increases to around -8degC (how long for, I have yet to determine).

Both compartments are currently set on maximum cold (ambient temperatures are currently 34 degC, daytime and 24 degC, nightime).

freezer thermometer s.jpg

Last edited:
Freezer, 3.0 cubic ft..jpg

I'm seriously considering getting THIS; a 3.0 cubic ft upright freezer from Sears!! it has 3 slide-out baskets for easy reach. :wink:

Last edited:
I bought a fridge/freezer thermometer to check the temperatures in my appliance. I discovered that the fridge was generally around a temperature of 2 degC and the freezer -17degC except during the auto defrost when it increases to around -8degC (how long for, I have yet to determine).

I've monitored the temperatures for a few days now and the lowest temperature that I have observed in the freezer is -19.4 degC and the highest -8 degC. The frozen food that I buy (ham, gammon, beef and fish) recommends -18 degC for storage. As I've had the freezer for over 18 years and not been sick (from my own food) yet, I guess that it's adequate.

To get top freezing efficiency & the most use from your freezer, it must be set to zero or below Not all fridge freezers are able to do this, especially if there is only one temp control for both, the most maximum use, your freezer should be set so that it reaches & maintains a temp of zero or below at all times. Mine gets overloaded many times after buying meats for the month.

This is why I need a small freezer to supplement the fridge freezer. I can't make ice cream because I need freezer space to store it after it is made. Or extra beef or chicken stock. :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom