Regional Restaurants

When traveling, I always try to find out where the locals go. In most places, that works out well. On a few occasions, though, I felt unwelcome -- as if the locals didn't wan't "tourists" in their restaurant. But, that's pretty rare.

CD
Split in terms of tourism is relatively new. The people in general dislike tourists but love the money. The problem is when the season starts the industry especially the restaurants have to take on unskilled unemployed people for the duration of the season. These people are told by the government to get a job or lose their benefits. The area has the reputation for the worst and rudest wait staff in Croatia. My wife refuses to eat out here unless it is a restaurant friend or family own. Our favorite restaurant before covid is the Bacchus in Livno Bosnia about a 90 minute drive from here or the Alvis Hvar which is a 90 minute ferry ride. Vjeko is a family friend. Alviž | Pizzeria and bistro Alviž Hvar, various local recepies, pizzas, fish dishes ….

I've never been to Torchy's or Cheddars. I knew about Cheddars being in competition with Applebee's for mediocrity, so never bothered. I didn't know there were any Torchy's near me. Just looked, and there is one in Frisco that I've driven past many times, and never noticed.

CD
I saw a comment once about microwaves being called Applebee’s chefs. Hope nobody here works at Applebee’s. I call it Crabapplebees.

Back
Top Bottom