Rehydrating dry beans

rustedrazors

Über Member
Local time
8:01 AM
I've recently been experimenting with making beans "from scratch" (i.e. rehydrating them instead of using canned beans). I've come across 2 main methods of soaking the beans before cooking them: soaking for ~8 hours in room temperature water or for ~1 hour in simmering water. Anyone have experience with either method? Which do you think works better? Is it worth it to do the longer soak? I always forget to plan that far ahead...

I have to admit, I use a lot of canned beans. I have reconstituted them using both of these methods, and in my experience, they both work equally well. I tend to have to work quickly in the kitchen, as well as with every other aspect of my life, so it's not often I'm able to plan ahead and soak the beans overnight. I haven't noticed a difference in quality or taste from one method over the other, so I say the better method is the one that works best for you.

This is what I do when I cook dry beans. I start a pan of water to boiling then I add the washed beans to the boiling water, I bring the water back to boiling and let it cook for about 60 minutes with a top of the pot, I cut the heat down real low just enough to keep the pan warm, not boiling, I check the pot several times to stir when I see the beans start to swell up I bring the heat back up for about 30 minutes, I let the beans sit in the hot water, the beans are done.

I've recently been experimenting with making beans "from scratch" (i.e. rehydrating them instead of using canned beans). I've come across 2 main methods of soaking the beans before cooking them: soaking for ~8 hours in room temperature water or for ~1 hour in simmering water. Anyone have experience with either method? Which do you think works better? Is it worth it to do the longer soak? I always forget to plan that far ahead...

Pardon me but I'm sure my husband wouldn't agree with soaking the beans for that long. One time I was tasked to prepare the mung beans and I immediately soaked the beans, not realizing that it was so early at 8am - it would be cooked by 10:30am. It did not sit well with my husband. He said that the beans might sprout. So that's a lesson I would never forget. Now, with that 8 hours of soaking the beans, are you sure the beans are still normal beans and have no sprouts? The soaking is a maximum of 1 hour and we use the pressure cooker to cook it for 12 minutes (this duration depends on the kind of pressure cooker).

Pardon me but I'm sure my husband wouldn't agree with soaking the beans for that long. One time I was tasked to prepare the mung beans and I immediately soaked the beans, not realizing that it was so early at 8am - it would be cooked by 10:30am. It did not sit well with my husband. He said that the beans might sprout. So that's a lesson I would never forget. Now, with that 8 hours of soaking the beans, are you sure the beans are still normal beans and have no sprouts? The soaking is a maximum of 1 hour and we use the pressure cooker to cook it for 12 minutes (this duration depends on the kind of pressure cooker).

It really depends on what beans you are cooking. Mung beans have a recommended soak time of 4 - 6 hours. They are perfectly fine in that time.

I have always soaked my beans and drained off the water. This I find helped with any bloating and digestive problems they may have. Soaking them for long also helps with cooking times! Yes... When I make our Jamaican Rice and Peas, I always soak our kidney beans overnight, drain off the water then rinse. It takes a lot longer if you don't soak the beans. I also much prefer using fresh beans than canned.

I soak all grains and beans before I cook them to reduce the oligosaccharides and phytic acid. This makes them easier to digest and makes more vitamins and minerals available to absorb. Most beans take a few days of soaking and rinsing to sprout. But that only makes them more nutritious and tasty! Even if they were to sprout (which is doubtful) they would be fine to cook and eat.

I soak overnight then rinse well and cook in my pressure cooker. Takes about 6 or so minutes once it gets up to pressure. I also cook them in broth and do not salt until after they are cooked. Salt can keep them from softening. They are so yummy and nutritious this way!

I cook up a large batch of beans each time and then freeze some and use some for other dishes. I usually make at least half in to Mexican beans that can be used in tacos, burritos, chili, etc. Those can also be whipped up in the food processor for dip or refried beans.

I am glad you are cooking dried beans! It is not at all hard and they are so much more nutritious than canned!!

When I cook dried beans I find that soaking them for about two to three hours helps the cooking time be faster. I absolutely love dried beans and my favorite fried cornbread. I soak them is just regular temperature tap water. I've tried cooking them without soaking them but they cook much longer. They are much more healthier because of the preservatives and the salt content in can beans. There are can beans however that have no salt in them. Overall I feel that the dried are much better. I think that today we are a jet society. We want everything fast but who cares about health.

I am trying to work myself up to using dried beans. I do sometimes soak and use small legumes and vegetables like dried peas and lentils. I had a bad experience with dried beans once, and it makes me nervous about using them. Some beans seem like they take forever to soften. Roomie made beans here once and had to soak them for 3 days before they were ready! :ohmy::ohmy: Who has time for that?

I am trying to work myself up to using dried beans. I do sometimes soak and use small legumes and vegetables like dried peas and lentils. I had a bad experience with dried beans once, and it makes me nervous about using them. Some beans seem like they take forever to soften. Roomie made beans here once and had to soak them for 3 days before they were ready! :ohmy::ohmy: Who has time for that?
Old beans take longer to cook. But as a rule an overnight soaking is enough. I've got lazy recently as tinned beans are cheap and excellent quality and I can get any type of bean I need, ready cooked. I really don't think there is any taste difference or nutritional difference in using dried beans compared to pre-cooked tinned. But there could be a bit of a saving in cost as long as you don't have to cook them too long!

Back
Top Bottom