Religious beliefs

Give me the crenellated pinnacles
OOOOOOH Nurse

is it painful.

I loved this chair and did not want to part with it. Mrs Blank advised me that as this is a Catholic Country if Customs officers found it theywould burn me at the stake.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the origin of the chair? Its splendid.
Thank you, it's a type of Savonarola so Italy. The images of the Devil and Beelzebub attracted me and the punters in Bonham's where I sold most of our large non transportable furniture. The money is in the table to the left as it is a genuine Cuban Mahogany table, quite rare as there has not been any mahogany in Cuba for many hundreds of years.

What period are we talking? And why the images if its from Catholic Italy?
The original chair was designed to fold as was mine before I had it locked and reupholstered. Savanarola is for some reason the name it is most commonly known by. This may have some relevance A trial by fire proposed by a rival Florentine preacher in April 1498 to test Savonarola's divine mandate turned into a fiasco, and popular opinion turned against him. ... On 23 May 1498, Church and civil authorities condemned, hanged, and burned the three friars in the main square of Florence. The chair is called a Dante chair in Italy and a Luther chair in Germany.
Mine was 18/19th century like this one Normal Savs are quite common, my one had value and cache because of the devil back rest.

I had that crap shoved down my throat until I was 12, then I started to think for myself. Ask someone who is a "Thumper" to let their children get to an age where they can think for themselves, before exposing them to their beliefs and you will get the "no way"!

Do I believe in an almighty. I have no idea. If a gun was put to my head. I'd probably answer with a "no". There isn't an afterlife. What do I know.

Saying that. I joined the church at 32 years of age. I've been an active participant for many years. The reason I joined was that I was on a bad path. I was in a serious funk that I couldn't get out of. I decided to try the church. It helped immensely. It gave me direction.

Nearly met my maker in 06, everything is a bonus now, I'm not religious, and don't fear death. I had a pill problem that used to make me black out. It's a funny feeling when you know you're about to black out. Pills were adjusted and all good now. Bp pills.
But it's kind of a good feeling when blacking out. Much the same when you die I think??
Either way I don't get to choose, just need to enjoy what comes along.

Russ

Do I believe in an almighty. I have no idea. If a gun was put to my head. I'd probably answer with a "no". There isn't an afterlife. What do I know.

Saying that. I joined the church at 32 years of age. I've been an active participant for many years. The reason I joined was that I was on a bad path. I was in a serious funk that I couldn't get out of. I decided to try the church. It helped immensely. It gave me direction.

I can't fast you for that. It does provide a "path." We all need that, however we find it.

Here is the thing, when it comes to a supreme being and an afterlife, all we can do is believe or not belief. We can't count on scientific evidence. And, any one of us could be right, or wrong. Well, I'm pretty sure the people at Jonestown were very wrong. But that is something I think we can ALL agree on.

CD

Back
Top Bottom