Remember Me?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:12 PM
Hello all,

It's been some time since I posted to Cooking Bites. I thought to look in as I wanted to dig up some unique invented recipes I posted here so many months ago, those I especially enjoyed and wanted to do again.

I hope everybody is doing well in these times of Pandemic, Economic Difficulties and Unrest.

The nature of these times has had me turning more to Beans, Grains and Pastas. It has been a time of exploration for these items and that's good, I think you'll all agree.

Anyway, I'll be lurking around and might make a post or two or three .... or ...

Again, I hope you are all doing well.

Of course I remember you! In fact I was thinking about you a few days ago and looked up when you had last posted (may 2018!). Maybe you got the telepathy.. Anyway - welcome back. We have quite a few new regular members now and we all seem to get on and support one another through the pandemic. I'll look forward to your posts.

Hi. I'm MJ. I joined recently and love this group. I am learning quite a bit and appreciate all the experienced cooks that graciously share their recipes and techniques. I look forward to reading your posts. Welcome back!

Hi. I'm MJ. I joined recently and love this group. I am learning quite a bit and appreciate all the experienced cooks that graciously share their recipes and techniques. I look forward to reading your posts. Welcome back!

Well, be prepared to learn to experiment with cooking, which is something I do. I don't generally follow recipes, but concoct my own creations, perhaps at best, based upon something else.

Well, be prepared to learn to experiment with cooking, which is something I do. I don't generally follow recipes, but concoct my own creations, perhaps at best, based upon something else.

Of course. I can do "rogue" (not using a recipe) but only with dishes I already know how to make. I ALWAYS make recipes as written and then tweak them later once if I make them again. I try to avoid most recipe sites because I have a serious pet peeve about people rating recipes AFTER they've made 400,000 changes to it. I use allrecipes.com and my rule of thumb is to only make dishes that have more than 1,000 reviews and rated at least 4 stars. This method has only failed me once (some crazy zucchini bread which was a waste of time and ingredients).

Of course. I can do "rogue" (not using a recipe) but only with dishes I already know how to make. I ALWAYS make recipes as written and then tweak them later once if I make them again. I try to avoid most recipe sites because I have a serious pet peeve about people rating recipes AFTER they've made 400,000 changes to it. I use allrecipes.com and my rule of thumb is to only make dishes that have more than 1,000 reviews and rated at least 4 stars. This method has only failed me once (some crazy zucchini bread which was a waste of time and ingredients).

My rule of thumb is to do it, if you like the flavors, textures and visuals, and think they'll go well together. I follow a certain sense of using flavor harmonies and palate cleansing.

Where I get into trouble is the health issues, ensuring that nutrients are balanced, at least say, over several days. I don't look to balance things. But being as omnivorous as I am, I think things work out. Of course, my physician has pointed out that my blood tests show low B-12 and D vitamins. I understand however, that drinking coffee will purge those things out and lower them. I drink coffee almost daily. Watch those sugars!

My rule of thumb is to do it, if you like the flavors, textures and visuals, and think they'll go well together. I follow a certain sense of using flavor harmonies and palate cleansing.

Where I get into trouble is the health issues, ensuring that nutrients are balanced, at least say, over several days. I don't look to balance things. But being as omnivorous as I am, I think things work out. Of course, my physician has pointed out that my blood tests show low B-12 and D vitamins. I understand however, that drinking coffee will purge those things out and lower them. I drink coffee almost daily. Watch those sugars!

I have to give myself a B12 injection every month and take Vit. D once a week. I will always have these deficiencies so it's my new "normal". Most people get them from foods though.

Hello all,

It's been some time since I posted to Cooking Bites. I thought to look in as I wanted to dig up some unique invented recipes I posted here so many months ago, those I especially enjoyed and wanted to do again.

I hope everybody is doing well in these times of Pandemic, Economic Difficulties and Unrest.

The nature of these times has had me turning more to Beans, Grains and Pastas. It has been a time of exploration for these items and that's good, I think you'll all agree.

Anyway, I'll be lurking around and might make a post or two or three .... or ...

Again, I hope you are all doing well.

:welcome: back :wave:

I'm glad you came back. I always appreciated the way you diagramed the ingredients in your recipes. I somehow missed this one when you posted it the first time: Seafood Chakchouka. I've made the simpler (seafood-free) version of this before, and now I think I'm going to have to give it a try.

The Seafood Chakchouka recipe was one in particular that I returned to look up as I did not have the recipe stored on my local computer. I really enjoyed that recipe, quite a bit.

It may be a while before I get into documenting and posting recipes like that once again, as I am currently spending a lot of time on one of my other hobbies, photography. But stay tuned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom