Removing rust from your cookware

Local time
3:02 PM
So I am looking through my cupboards and stumble on some baking pans full of rust. I am saddened as I am thinking I need to throw them out. Not so fast. I have a look online and find some suggestions for removing the rust from my bake ware. Baking soda is one of the things that I remember seeing most.

Today I took a look at cookware and was amazed to see that potato was mentioned as a cleaning tool. Take a look at what I found. Also, are you likely to try to save your pans or cookware or just throw them away?

http://www.thekitchn.com/skip-harsh-cleaners-remove-rust-with-a-potato-tips-from-the-kitchn-108040

Last edited:
my first trade knives were carbon steel we used to clean them with lemon halves and salt ,or a wooden cork and salt,
my cast iron baking trays i often have to scrub with a scourer dry them through the oven then lightly oil,as i use silicone mats or paper on them i try to avoid washing them,many say never wash ,cast iron pans and woks as they loose there non stick properties but i suppose it is all down to what you use them for

baking soda or soap is being used. so I think the potatoe is just being used as a medium to remove the rust and act as lubricant as is were.

To clean rust with a potato, cut it in half lengthwise or crosswise, depending on how large a surface area you want. Dip the cut end in dish soap or baking soda and firmly rub it over the rusted area. If the end of the potato gets slick, slice it off and apply more soap or abrasive. Repeat until rust is removed, rinse, and dry.

I always used baking soda with vinegar when removing rust from my cookware. Leave it overnight and then scrub the next morning and the rust will slightly go away. After rinsing it with water and after it becomes dry the cookwares looks shiny and new.

I was told also to use salt on the cast iron pans to clean them, to never wash them or let the water set in the pans as they will rust. I rub my pans with oil and let them sit in a warm oven to help the oil work into the pans.

baking soda or soap is being used. so I think the potatoe is just being used as a medium to remove the rust and act as lubricant as is were.

You are right in that it's not used as an agent really. I missed that very vital detail. I get it now, but it still seems a little odd, don't you think? And the title then becomes a little misleading. Oh well. I guess baking soda is the unanimously decided upon agent to use. Further it seems like we are all pretty much in favour of saving the pan and not discarding of them, The ones I have look really bad. I feel like it's going to take a lot of effort to restore them.

I have a couple of deep cake pans that have rusted.
They are made from that cheap aluminum material. I don't use them now.

I think that the best ones to get now are the heavy duty deep industrial-type heavy dark STEEL ones. Chicago Metallic makes them, and you can get them from BB&B. I also have 1/2, 1/4 & 1/8-inch sheet pans & a pizza pan that is also made by them.

Back
Top Bottom