Review Repainting my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Cookbooks & Recipes' started by Shermie, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I just got a used KA Commercial bowl-lift stand mixer the other day, & I've already begun the process of getting it ready for painting. I've taken the motor head off the pedestal & began cleaning it. In the 2nd pic, look at all that crud on the planetary that has to be cleaned off!! :ohmy:

I will post pics as I go along, so that you can see for yourself how the process is going. Sorry for the fuzzy pics. :wink:

Motor head unbolted..jpg Nuts & bolts, plus band..jpg Base & pedestal..jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

KA%20Commercial%20Mixer.jpg

Here's what it looked like before I dismantled it. Almost new looking. I will also be getting a new bowl & beaters for it. When I'm done, it will look brand spanking new!! :wink:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I reckon re-painting to a professional level would be very difficult if not impossible. It would originally have been sprayed. I think spraying is the only way to get a really smooth finish - but perhaps that is what you mean?

Shermie likes this.
  4. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Mixer is completely dimantled..jpg

Yes. That is what I mean. It has to be spray painted, just like it was done at the factory.

I'll have to get a tent to keep any excess spray paint confined, sand it lightly so that the paint adheres to it, use at least two cans of spray paint, let the parts dry between paintings, then spray the parts with a clear coating to help protect the new paint. But first comes the cleaning of the parts. :wink:

5. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

The mixer had held back so much hidden dirt & grime! Probably the first time that it was cleaned in eons!! :headshake:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  6. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Cleaning is done! Wanted to cover the parts that I don't want painted, but I can't find the masking tape!! :mad:

7. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Blue Kitchenaid Mixer..jpg

Thinking about doing it in THIS color in honor of Julia Child. She had one like this!! :wink:

8. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

I thought you were talking about something different, like Alton Brown's matte black one with flames.

9. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Nah I've seen some that were repainted, & the look brand spanking new! But Alton's, I'll pass. :headshake:

10. rascal

rascal Über Member

I would paint it red. All my vehicles are red. Venom red to be precise,lol.

Russ

11. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

There are many colors out there to chose from. Thought about metallic gray, also!! :wink:

12. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I thought you were going for your favourite ORANGE!

Shermie likes this.
  13. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I still might. Procrastinating at this point. I'm stopping at the hardware store down the street for some things today. I'll look. One thing that I gotta get is some masking tape. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM
  14. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

It's gonna be orange!! Got the spray paint today. Couldn't get the tent though. They didn't have that. Have to order it from Amazon.

15. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Orange KA mixer..jpg Orange KA mixer..jpg

it will look like the color of THIS hand mixer. which I have already!!