Request: Recipies good for bulk cooking.

Shamde

Veteran
Local time
6:05 PM
I'm interested in making some large batches of food as I'm a busy student, can anyone share meals which would be easy to cook and store in bulk?

If you are only cooking for 1 person, most recipes will be fine for 'bulk cooking' especially if you double them. 8-12 portions of anything is more than enough for 1 person to get through even if you have a large freezer to store them in. If you do double a recipe, remember than most recipes do not need you to double the oil, only the rest of the ingredients.

Here is one I just came across for "heat and eat oatmeal", it's kind of clever. You just create some pre cooked and flavored portions of oatmeal, then freeze them for later use.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/heat-eat-oatmeal/

If you are only cooking for yourself, you really only need to make a standard full recipe that feeds four. Do you really want to eat the same thing more than 4 times within a few days? I mean, you could make even more but you run the risk of getting burned out on the same thing.

Chili's, Soups and Stews are freezer friendly and easy to take with you for lunch since they are already frozen (no need for extra ice packs). An electric pressure cooker makes creating them even faster and more convenient. You can tenderize cheap cuts of meat, and cook dried beans from scratch in them in under an hour.

You could also get a long loaf of crusty bread and make a sturdy sandwich that you can cut into smaller pieces, individually wrap them and have them ready to go for the next few days. Some roasted peppers, olives, marinated artichokes, pickled stuff, cheeses, and greens can all be stuffed into it, perhaps with some pesto or mayo.

A large batch of Carnitas is very versatile too. You can make pork tacos/burritos, you can mark Carnitas bowls over spanish rice with other toppings of choice, you can put the meat into sauces, make bbq pulled pork, chop it up in fried rice, etc...

I get tired of eating the same thing every day, but you can always make a lasagna and cut it up. I like things that I can bake in a glass tray. I don't know if you have access to an oven if you're a student, but baked things or things I make in a crock pot help. Soups, pasta dishes, casseroles and the like. They go good with side salads.

Back
Top Bottom