Requesting help with beef & mushroom stew...

bryan123

Local time
10:58 PM
Hi,

I'm new here having joined earlier today.

One of our favorite suppers on work nights is slow cooker beef & mushroom stew. I sear the beef and the mushrooms before putting them in the slow cooker. I'm having trouble picking the best liquid medium. I've tried the grocery store options in the pouches and packets like Campbells and McCormick and a few different cans of condensed soup like cream of mushroom, and even just plain canned tomato sauce, but I'm wondering if there's a better choice that I haven't happened upon yet.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

I wouldn't personally use a packet or pouch but I would use a good quality beef stock - only after setting a vegetable base for the stew by fryng onions, garlic, maybe carrots, celery until softened. You probably also need to add something to thicken the stew. I would also add spices - bay leaves, juniper berries, black peppercorns for example.

Beef stock and red wine, and use the wine to deglaze the pan after browning the meat. Wouldn't hurt to cook a little squirt of tomato paste for a few minutes, also.

Wish I could help, but my use for that kind of slow cooker went out with the crock pots of the '70s. I use an enamelded CI Dutch oven for stews and pot roasts. Usually started on the stove top and finished in the oven.

Welcome!

I agree with all the above posters. I usually add a bit of flour, salt and pepper when deglazing the pan after browning the meat. This will thicken in the slow cooker. I try to avoid canned soup because I have high blood pressure but I know many people that use canned cream of mushroom (with a bit of milk added).

Crossing my fingers for you that it turns out the way you want!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...

How much beef stock for a pound of stew meat and the small size container of fresh mushrooms? A cup maybe? We usually get four servings out of it...Dinner for the two of us and lunch the next day.

I just made one of my favorites a week or two ago -- beef short ribs braised in a 50/50 mix of Dry Hard Cider, and beef stock (made with Better then Bouillon brand).

Forget the pouches. They are full of chemicals and don't really taste all that good, IMO.

Cider, beer, wine -- they all make good braising liquids, and slow cookers do something somewhat similar to braising.

CD

Cider, beer, wine -- they all make good braising liquids, and slow cookers do something somewhat similar to braising.

Why didn't I mention that - alcohol added will really make a difference.

ch beef stock for a pound of stew meat and the small size container of fresh mushrooms? A cup maybe?

A cup is probably about right.

This is from a recipe I use:

4 pound chuck roast for the beef
1 TB of tomato paste
2 cups good red wine (Côtes du Rhône or Pinot Noir)
2 cups chicken broth

There's a lot of other stuff going on (garlic, onions, anchovies, etc) and this is done in a Dutch oven in the oven (which I do think is a better option), but the concept is the same.

Let me know if you want the entire recipe posted, and I'll add it. I've made it a few times, and it's a good one.

This is from a recipe I use:

4 pound chuck roast for the beef
1 TB of tomato paste
2 cups good red wine (Côtes du Rhône or Pinot Noir)
2 cups chicken broth

There's a lot of other stuff going on (garlic, onions, anchovies, etc) and this is done in a Dutch oven in the oven (which I do think is a better option), but the concept is the same.

Let me know if you want the entire recipe posted, and I'll add it. I've made it a few times, and it's a good one.

I would like to see the entire recipe if you don't mind me asking.

We use either McCormick beef stew seasoning mix or the beef stew seasoning mix from here. Liquid is the unsalted beef broth from Kitchen Basics in about a 3:1 ratio with water, several shakes of Worcestershire sauce and sometimes dried porcini mushroom powder.

Back
Top Bottom