Reusable Straws

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:22 PM
Well, I bought some reusable straws the other day and am using them for the first time today.

I bought these silicone ones from Walmart:

Different colors, but same straws. You can see one in action in the “Whatcha drinking” topic.

I must say…not impressed. They’re too big (I feel like I’m sucking on a garden hose), and they’re too soft (the slightest pressure, and they close up tight), and I can’t bend the straw to the angle of my choice. Call me old-fashioned, but I rather expect my straw to conform to me, not the other way round. 😒

For those who’re using reusable straws, what type do you have, and what’re your likes and dislikes? These, I’m afraid, are destined for the trash as soon as I finish my drink.

When I use straws, I re-use the plastic cheap ones which are regarded as disposable. I put them through the dishwasher. They are virtually indestructible which is why they are such a hazard to sea birds etc. I've been using the same 'disposable' plastic straws for at least five years now.

Mine are metal ones very similar to yours but half are thick for thick milk shakes with ice cream and the other half are thinner ones that are great for more normal liquid. Mine are about 6 years old now. Got then when we first arrived here in Australia.

I'll try to get a photo of them tomorrow.

Mine are metal ones very similar to yours but half are thick for thick milk shakes with ice cream and the other half are thinner ones that are great for more normal liquid. Mine are about 6 years old now. Got then when we first arrived here in Australia.

I have those same ones.
Wife went on a health kick when we were researching fertility and we discarded most of our plastics for fear of chemicals that can seep into foods and beverages. The stainless steel ones are a good alternative, but lord help you if you lift your cup to your face without watching out for the straw: its a really unpleasant feel to hit your teeth with one of those heavy straws :laugh:

I rarely use straws. Even at fast food restaurant, I drink from the cup. If I have a drink in the car, I use a straw. In the car, though, I mostly just have a bottle of water (I refill my water bottles). I drink right from the bottle.

I'm fine with paper straws.

CD

I rarely use straws. I drink from the glass, bottle or cup. I eat milkshakes with a spoon.

I use a straw to drink everything but hot beverages since splitting open my lower lip and breaking my nose.
Nephew's Golden Retriever took me "sidewalk surfing" face first. DH said that when my head hit the concrete driveway, it sounded like a coconut smacking down hard on the pavement :ohmy: took 10 stitches to close my lip back up!

I use a straw to drink everything but hot beverages since splitting open my lower lip and breaking my nose.
Nephew's Golden Retriever took me "sidewalk surfing" face first. DH said that when my head hit the concrete driveway, it sounded like a coconut smacking down hard on the pavement :ohmy: took 10 stitches to close my lip back up!
IMG_0735 (2).JPG
IMG_0745.JPG

The culprit after being soundly scolded by everyone in the house!

Back
Top Bottom