Recipe Rhubarb and Date Chutney

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:34 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
If rhubarb wasn't so expensive here (this recipe requires AUD $16 of rhubarb at present) I would be making this in an instant. but as it is, I can only dream until my rhubarb has established itself and I think it is going to need a new home for it to do that. but careful observation had shown me when the condensation drips off the roof every morning and I have the ideal spot for it now!. as with all of these recipes I have modified the spices to something I know is closer to our tastes and dropped the sugar levels a touch. if i was making this tomorrow, I'd drop the sugar to 200g, and quite likely add in some chilli flakes, use normal brown onions and perhaps even include a couple of tablespoons of garam masala. there's no salt in the ingredients list, but the original recipe stated 2tsp in the methodology. user comments indicate that that was rather salty and hating salty foods, I would suggest you use 1/2-1 tsp at the end to taste.

The original comes from the BBC Goodfood site. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5885/rhubarb-and-date-chutney

Ingredients
100g fresh root ginger, grated
300ml red wine vinegar
500g eating apple, peeled and finely chopped
200g pitted date, chopped
200g dried cranberries or raisins
2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tbsp curry powder
300g light muscovado/light soft brown sugar
700g rhubarb, sliced into 2cm chunks
500g red onion
1/2-1tsp salt (optional)

Method
  1. Put the onions in a large pan with the ginger and vinegar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the rhubarb, and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 mins until the apples are tender.
  3. Carefully add the salt to taste. you don't want to be able to taste salt because boiling things down will concentrate the taste, but the recipe will benefit from some in all likelihood. (optional and see my note above)
  4. Stir in the rhubarb and cook, uncovered, until the chutney is thick and jammy, about 15-20 mins.
  5. Leave the chutney to sit for about 10-15 mins, then spoon into warm, clean jars, and seal. Label the jars when cool. Keep for at least a month before eating.

Back
Top Bottom