Recipe Rhubarb Frappe

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:09 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Given that life is so darn hot here at the moment, I'm not fancying anything hot or heavy. last night it was still 28C at 11pm in the house and is too warm to sleep for sure. so whilst looking for a rhubarb recipe or two, to use up the remaining 250g of rhubarb I have, I've adapted this lemonade recipe and may just add it too what is made over the next few days. it sounds nice. But, me being me, I'm not going to stain the mixture and discard the cooked rhubarb. I reckon something could also be done with it. and so I've included 2 recipes, the original, but with less sugar and my version for a rhubarb frappe. I would reference the original, but I've lost it. if i find it again...

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
375ml water
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (light brown)
6 fl oz frozen pink lemonade
2 fresh lemons
16 -20 fl oz lemon-lime cordial

Directions
  1. Bring the rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil and simmer 5-10 minutes.
  2. Strain the mixture and retain the solids.
  3. Add the frozen lemonade and the juice from one fresh lemon. Now chill until cold.
  4. When ready to serve add the cordial. (You can add more water/cordial depending on how tart/sweet you like it.)
  5. Slice the remaining lemon for serving. Pour the lemonade over ice and add lemon slices.
-------------------------------------------------------------

An untested idea.

Ingredients for rhubarb frappe
1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
375ml water
1/3 cup sugar (light brown)
2 fresh lemons, juice and rind of 1,
250ml ice cold Almond milk, unsweetened (or any other milk) (optional)
250 ml Crushed ice lemon cordial (made up to taste, then just frozen in an ice cube tray)

Directions for rhubarb frappe
  1. Make up your lemon cordial to taste, pour into an ice cube tray or shallow tin and freeze.
  2. Bring the rhubarb, sugar, lemon rind from 1 lemon and water to boil and simmer, covered until the rhubarb is very soft, roughly 10 minutes.
  3. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
  4. Add the crushed ice lemon cordial and juice of 1 of the lemons and blend/liquidise until smoother.
  5. Add the chilled Almond milk to taste, along with more ice as needed and liquidise very briefly again.
  6. Serve immediately.
I think this would also work really well with the addition of strawberries or raspberries right at the very end.

Back
Top Bottom