SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:38 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK, I confess, its not my recipe. In fact its a taste test for another attempt at a Tarte Tatin and I had some rhubarb in the garden which was looking at me and I have been threatening it for weeks now with being eaten so.... A veganised version of this BBC Good Food Recipe.

Ingredients
Enough Rhubarb to cover the bottom of your chosen tatin vessel.
2 star anise
1 lemon juiced
100g raw sugar
25g dairy free marg or vegan butter
a big enough disc of dairy free puff pastry to cover your vessel in one go.

Method
  1. Cut your rhubarb to fit your container - you are looking for nice long strips ideally thinner than thicker but work with what you have. Cut to size filling a single layer of the base of your vessel. Then remove and keep immediately available and in order.
  2. Position the 2 star anise to look attractive within the base of your tatin vessel.
  3. In a saucepan, melt the sugar and get to a caramel without burning it.
  4. Working quickly, pour the hot caramel carefully over the bottom on the tatin vessel aiming for a reasonably even distribution. Now put the rhubarb on top of the caramel, curved side down. You should be able to use the caramel as a sticky glue to adhere the rhubarb into position with.
  5. Carefully pour the lemon juice over the rhubarb and caramel.
  6. Dot the marg/vegan butter over the rhubarb as well.
  7. Now position that puff pastry over the entire lot...
  8. If you need to stop here, make the entire thing airtight with Clingfilm and refrigerate.
  9. When ready to use, put the entire vessel minus the Clingfilm into a preheated oven at 220C or Gas Mark 7 for 15-20 mins. It may take longer if chilled, so go by the bubbling of the caramel around the edges of the puff pastry and by the colour of the pastry and how cooked it looks!
  10. Cool for around 10-15 minutes before you try the dreaded inversion to serve caramel side up on a serving plate. If it is sticking to the tatin vessel, heat it slightly to soften the caramel.
I'll add photos as and when it is ready.

:woot:

PSX_20171214_185519.jpg

:dance:

@morning glory: why haven't you commented yet? I'm sure whatever you had to do in the 24 hours since the recipe was posted, couldn't have been more important. I can't remember the last time a recipe actually fascinated me: I love the fact that it's simple, yet the way the flavors blend here is complex. It's comforting, yet bold (rhubarb!)

This will be the first time I've ever put "rhubarb" on the shopping list. Ever.

@The Late Night Gourmet my harshest critique, my husband, actually said it was and I quote "good, no, really good". Trust me that's praise indeed. He's stated that he would like it again but we need to find a better tatin dish and he threatened to buy a new frying pan with an oven proof handle. I pointed out we had one, it was just I didn't have enough rhubarb to cover the bottom of it,so had had to improvise. He wants it again only with better puff pastry (Australia has an untapped market when it comes to ready made (decent) pastry). I'm working on it! @morning glory has suggested (in the what did you eat thread) that I try making rough puff pastry instead. That would be a first.

It was indeed a nice dish. I was pleasantly surprised.

@morning glory: why haven't you commented yet? I'm sure whatever you had to do in the 24 hours since the recipe was posted, couldn't have been more important. I can't remember the last time a recipe actually fascinated me: I love the fact that it's simple, yet the way the flavors blend here is complex. It's comforting, yet bold (rhubarb!)

This will be the first time I've ever put "rhubarb" on the shopping list. Ever.

I did comment (in the Tatin thread) and we are discussing the pastry over there. This Tatin looks great and a lovely colour - maybe it is more surprising to you than me? I've always eaten a lot of rhubarb - its great with fish as well as in pies. I'd considered a rhubarb tatin but haven't worked my way round to it. I'm working on oranges right now!

Back
Top Bottom