Recipe Rhubarb & Vanilla Yogurt Cake

Local time
2:46 PM
This makes a lovely moist cake with a nice zing from the rhubarb - perfect served with a dollop of cream or creme fraiche.

Photo by Morning Glory

Ingredients
300g rhubarb, thinly sliced
310g self-raising flour
230g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
125g plain yoghurt
1tbsp vanilla essence
125g unsalted butter, melted + extra to grease the tin

Method
Grease and line a 9” cake tin and heat the oven to 180C (160C fan)
Mix the rhubarb, flour, caster sugar, and salt together in one bowl
Mix the eggs, yogurt, vanilla essence and butter together in another bowl
Mix both mixtures together until there are no dry patches left - but don’t over-mix
Pour it into the tin, level it off and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown
Let it cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn it out to finish cooling on a rack

IMGP1536.jpg

Photo by Morning Glory

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of making a rhubarb cake for the challenge. If I get time I may try this out (some rhubarb is arriving, courtesy of Ocado). If so, I'll photograph it. Given that the rhubarb goes in raw, how thinly should it be sliced?

Also - I noticed you missed the orange zest out of the ingredient list (easily amended).

About 5mm slices should be fine but a bit of variety is ok - ideally some should kind of cook down into the cake whilst others remain a bit more noticeable to give you random bursts or rhubarb.

Oops! Meant to remove all references to orange......its an adaption of another recipe (the original has orange zest and orange flower water in it). Will edit it now - thanks for pointing it out.

Here we go! I made the cake today. Its quite easy to make really. I was a bit worried when the cake mix was so stiff. But then I figured that the rhubarb would release a lot of liquid, so it needed to be that way. I sifted icing sugar over the top for presentation. The cake is delicious, with lovely sour bursts of flavour from the rhubarb.

Here are the photos. If you think they are a fair representation of your recipe, with your permission, I can add them to your original post.

IMGP1537.jpg IMGP1536.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fab - just how I remember it (and great photos too!)
The mixture is pretty stiff - as you say the rhubarb releases liquid, but I also think it needs to be fairly stiff to ensure that the rhubarb pieces don't all sink to the bottom. Because its a more rustic type of cake its really good for packing up and taking on picnics - I first made it to take to a concert a Highclere castle a few years ago.
Your pictures are making me hungry.....I want to get some rhubarb now and make it myself :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom