Rice CLUMPS. Hate

pieceofpeace

Local time
7:05 PM
Hey, foodies!
I’ll start with the complaint because I sick of cooking rice in a pot. I really hate this… Rice always clumps together, or vice-versa, it’s not soft enough and dry. Ok, to the point. I consider buying a rice cooker and I’ll be glad to hear some recommendations from you before I make a decision. What should I put my attention on? Thanks in advance!

What kind of rice are you using? Some kinds need washing before cooking, some don't. A few kinds need soaking before cooking, most don't. If it's not treated properly before cooking, it doesn't matter what you cook it in.

Last edited:
I don't make a lot of rice, but I will say I've owned two kinds of rice cookers in my life; one that had a little lift-off glass lid (it looked like a small sow cooker), and that has the lock-down lid (it looks like a plastic cube).

I much prefer the second type. The first type, as the rice would cook, the lid would bounce up and down and splatter liquid all over the countertop. It made a complete mess.

What kind of rice are you using? Some kinds need washing before cooking, some don't. A few kinds need soaking before cooking, most don't. If it's not treated properly before cooking, it doesn't matter what you cook it in.
I googled what kind of rice are exist, and I think I use Basmati Rice or Jasmine Rice(both look very similar). I wash it 3-5 times before cooking and add some butter, but it doesn't work. Btw, I tried not to wash it before cooking, but eventually, I always get a big sticky riceball :banghead:

I don't make a lot of rice, but I will say I've owned two kinds of rice cookers in my life; one that had a little lift-off glass lid (it looked like a small sow cooker), and that has the lock-down lid (it looks like a plastic cube).

I much prefer the second type. The first type, as the rice would cook, the lid would bounce up and down and splatter liquid all over the countertop. It made a complete mess.
Good notice, thanks for it.

Either Jasmine or basmati need to be washed until the water is clear, not just a certain # of times.

The Jasmine then needs to drain for at least 15 minutes. Then boil water, with a little salt if you like, in a ratio of 1.5 water to 1 of rice. I do this in a pan on the stove top. Once the water is boiling, I stir in the rice, cover, let the water come back to a hard boil, and then turn off the heat, let it sit covered for at least 20 minutes without disturbing, never taking the cover off.

Basmati needs to be soaked in water for 30 minutes after washing, drain, then cooked as above, except 1.75 water to 1 of rice.

You still may get a little clumping, but you can take a fork and fluff to break up the clumps.

I've never c
My daughter makes the best fluffiest the rice I've ever had, she uses jasmine rice and the microwave. I'll post her ratio mix and times when I see her later.

Russ

I've never cooked rice in the microwave. Only heated it up.

Last edited:
I was reared eating white long grain rice every day. I seldom cook rice. I do make Risotto when I am not trying to lose weight.
I had a rice cooker that I received as a young bride. I did use it for a while. Eventually it ended up collecting dust in the back of the cabinet. The rice cooker and other under used implements were donated.

My issue with a rice cooker is the quantity. It is much easier to cook rice for two in a small sauce pan.

Rice is a major crop in south Louisiana. My generation learned to cook rice and make a dark roux standing on a chair at the range.

medtran49 is spot on. Different types of rice need to be handled differently.

Either Jasmine or basmati need to be washed until the water is clear, not just a certain # of times.

The Jasmine then needs to drain for at least 15 minutes. Then boil water, with a little salt if you like, in a ratio of 1.5 water to 1 of rice. I do this in a pan on the stove top. Once the water is boiling, I stir in the rice, cover, let the water come back to a hard boil, and then turn off the heat, let it sit covered for at least 20 minutes without disturbing, never taking the cover off.

Basmati needs to be soaked in water for 30 minutes after washing, drain, then cooked as above, except 1.75 water to 1 of rice.

You still may get a little clumping, but you can take a fork and fluff to break up the clumps.
Thanks for sharing, next time I'll try to cook your recipe. As for the rice cooker, I'm just wondering, what is the difference between rice cooker and commercial rice cooker? I've put an eye on the 1st and 3rd options from this url. They both have the locked-down lids. What do you think about this?

I've put an eye on the 1st and 3rd options from this url. They both have the locked-down lids. What do you think about this?

I think they are ridiculously expensive! :ohmy: I would have thought most rice cookers have lock down lids. You can buy a domestic rice cooker on Amazon for a fraction of the price of these large capacity commercial cookers.

pieceofpeace

How many people are you cooking for? Unless you always cook for a large number of people a rice cooker is superfluous. Major over kill. If you are determined to get a rice cooker select a domestic/home use model. Your best bet is to learn how to cook rice in a sauce pan.

I so not intend to sound rude. I just do not see the point of a rice cooker when rice cooked in a sauce pan is just as easy - if not easier. Unless you regularly cook for a large crowd.

Back
Top Bottom