medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:04 PM
I first had this in Walt Disney World in the restaurant inside Cinderella's Castle when DD was a little girl. She turned 45 last week. Simple and easy to make but we really like this as a side dish.

Recipe can be scaled up as needed.

2020-04-22 18.24.59.jpg

Ingredients

1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/3 cup finely diced onion
4 ounces brown (crimini) mushrooms, 1/4 to 1/3 inch dice (can use white button mushrooms, but the brown ones make it taste better)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup converted rice (20 minute or so cooking time, NOT minute or instant rice)
2-1/8 cup unsalted chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until translucent. Add the rice and cook, stiring almost constantly, until rice turns translucent and makes a slight crackling noise. Add mushrooms and cook until they start to soften. Add the chicken broth, plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes.

I first had this in Walt Disney World in the restaurant inside Cinderella's Castle when DD was a little girl. She turned 45 last week. Simple and easy to make but we really like this as a side dish.

View attachment 96966

Ingredients

4 ounces brown (crimini) mushrooms, 1/4 to 1/3 inch dice (can use white button mushrooms, but the brown ones make it taste better)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until translucent. Add the rice and cook, stiring almost constantly, until rice turns translucent and makes a slight crackling noise. Add mushrooms and cook until they start to soften. Add the chicken broth, plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes.
I was reading really fast and at first I thought you said Cinderella was 45 this week, but I knew she was older than I am so that couldn't be true!

I like rice pilaf quite a bit.

I don't think there is much rice I don't like other than my mother's rice and chicken liver stuffing she made at Thanksgiving when I was young. I miss my mom but not her stuffing, LOL.

I was reading really fast and at first I thought you said Cinderella was 45 this week, but I knew she was older than I am so that couldn't be true!

I like rice pilaf quite a bit.

I don't think there is much rice I don't like other than my mother's rice and chicken liver stuffing she made at Thanksgiving when I was young. I miss my mom but not her stuffing, LOL.

Yes, Cindy the movie is a lot older than DD, older than me too actually. My first visit to WDW was when I was 12 or 13 and it had been open for less than 2 years. I remember using the A, B C, D and E tickets.

View attachment 96966

Ingredients

3 Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

I remember as a 10yo? A girl in my class went to Disneyland. Her father was a pilot for air new Zealand. ( Previous teal.) The whole class were in awe of that. It was a huge thing in the day. She gave s talk about it when she got back.
I was always jealous of Beverly matthews. I'm over it now. Lol

Russ

I remember as a 10yo? A girl in my class went to Disneyland. Her father was a pilot for air new Zealand. ( Previous teal.) The whole class were in awe of that. It was a huge thing in the day. She gave s talk about it when she got back.
I was always jealous of Beverly matthews. I'm over it now. Lol

Russ

Disneyland in California is the first Disney park. Disney World in Florida is the second. So, Disneyland is older than WDW by several years but I'm not sure how many. DL is smaller than the Magic Kingdom park of WDW, which was the only park when it was first built. EPCOT was the second, then the Hollywood park and finally Animal Kingdom. They bought a HUGE amount of land in Central Florida for planned expansion very cheaply because nobody knew what was going on since the Disney Corp was able to keep things quiet.

Until just recently, the Disney property and some privately owned property adjoining was governed by Disney Corp in a special taxing district. Our lovely governer, Ron DeSantis, who is a Trump in the making and probably a future Presidental candidate, potentially worse even, put a stop to that and took it over with a Board that he appointed. He was able to do this because Republicans have a super majority in both the Florida Senate and House. He is shoving his ultra conservative agenda down the throats of all Florida residents.

Last edited:
Disneyland in California is the first Disney park. Disney World in Florida is the second. So, Disneyland is older than WDW by several years but I'm not sure how many. DL is smaller than the Magic Kingdom park, which was the only park when it was first built. They bought a HUGE amount of land in Central Florida for planned expansion very cheaply because nobody knew what was going on because yhe Disney Corp was able to keep things quiet.

Until just recently, the Disney property and some privately owned property adjoining was governed by Disney Corp in a special taxing district. Our locely governer, Ron DeSantis, who is a Trump in the making and probably a future Presidental candidate, potentially worse even, put a stop to that and took it over with a Board that he appointed. He was able to do this because Republicans have a super majority in both the Florida Senate and House. He is shoving his ultra conservative agenda down the throats of all Florida residents.

Pretty certain it was cali , in 67

I watch the news and saw how Disney lost its power to govern.
The guy was a good but strange guy. The moustache thing.
He certainly changed the world.
I have no desire to go there now.
Russ

Pilaf is such a nice rice dish and I wonder why it's so out of trend. The rice takes up all of the flavor of the rich broth and the juices of the veggies. Love it either with pre cooked braised meat or juicy chicken, and of course some fresh chives

Pilaf is such a nice rice dish and I wonder why it's so out of trend. The rice takes up all of the flavor of the rich broth and the juices of the veggies. Love it either with pre cooked braised meat or juicy chicken, and of course some fresh chives
I must be out of trend because I eat rice pilaf fairly regularly, LOL. But you're right, it's not seen in restaurants that much anymore. Not like I have been going to many restaurants lately, kinda got out of the habit during the pandemic ya' know.

Nice job on this dish medtran49. I'll be making it in the near future (when I get back to Ohio anyway).

Back
Top Bottom