Recipe Risi e Bisi (Pea & Rice)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:26 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This recipe has a simplicity to it that is often lacking in many recipes I make. But that doesn't mean it lacks flavour. It isn't a pilaf or a risotto, just a simple dish that tastes great.

If you're not vegan or dairy free, the original recipe uses 2oz of butter.

The recipe comes from a book called "Food from Green Places" by Rosamond Richardson

Serves 4-6
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
350g (12(ish) oz) garden peas (baby or petit pois are best)
1L of a decent vegetable stock
225g (8oz) basmati rice
handful of fresh chopped oregano
grated vegan Parmesan or even just a decent cheddar, optional

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a covered pan, add the onion and gently cook, covered for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the rice, stir briefly and immediately add the stock and the oregano (reserve a little for later).
  3. Simmer gently for a few minutes less than your rice cooking instructions (so 12 mins if it is a 15 minute boil) keeping the pot covered. Check periodically that it hasn't dried out and add more stock if needed.
  4. As the peas just before the rice is cooked, stirring then in well and cover, remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. The rice sounds have absorbed all of the stock.
  5. Sprinkle will a touch more oregano, and the grated Parmesan (or equivalent) and serve.

I'll update with photos in a few days.

Interesting you used basmati. Its an Italian dish and I think it 'normally' uses a risotto rice to produce a creamy result.
The recipe specially states basmati and that this isn't a risotto. It is also not a creamy result. It is much closer to a pilaf.

Back
Top Bottom