6:59 PM
Risotto with Fennel, Pear, and Prosciutto
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 TB butter
1 garlic clove, minced
2 TB olive oil, divided
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (do not rinse)
3 to 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 firm Bosc pears, peeled & chopped
1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1/4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Stir first 3 ingredients together with 1 tablespoon of oil in a 2-1/2 liter microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 3 mins. Stir in rice and microwave on high for 2 mins.

Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap (do not vent). Microwave on high for 9 mins. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering and microwave for another 8 mins.

While rice is cooking, sauté pears and fennel in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes, or until tender and golden. Stir in prosciutto, and cook 1 minute longer, or until slightly browned.

Remove rice from microwave and stir in cheese and ¼ cup broth, stirring for a minute, until creamy. Add remaining broth a tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.

Stir fennel and pears into rice. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper and serve immediately.

Recipe from Southern Living magazine (February 2010!)

The CookingBites recipe challenge: rice

Risotto with Fennel, Pear, and Prosciutto
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 TB butter
1 garlic clove, minced
2 TB olive oil, divided
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (do not rinse)
3 to 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 firm Bosc pears, peeled & chopped
1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1/4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Stir first 3 ingredients together with 1 tablespoon of oil in a 2-1/2 liter microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 3 mins. Stir in rice and microwave on high for 2 mins.

Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap (do not vent). Microwave on high for 9 mins. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering and microwave for another 8 mins.

While rice is cooking, sauté pears and fennel in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes, or until tender and golden. Stir in prosciutto, and cook 1 minute longer, or until slightly browned.

Remove rice from microwave and stir in cheese and ¼ cup broth, stirring for a minute, until creamy. Add remaining broth a tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.

Stir fennel and pears into rice. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper and serve immediately.

Recipe from Southern Living magazine (February 2010!)

Had never thought about using the microwave before, wow!

Typo, fennel listed twice?

Thanks! I’ll get it fixed.

I have to laugh, because my first thought after your clarification was, “Who reads titles?!” :laugh:

I don't read photo titles, and if I did, it wouldn't confuse me, so I'd gloss over it.

CD

How did it taste? My husband's cousins (Italian descent) would all be drooling over this. I might have to give this a shot sometime!

Edit: just read your comment on the taste in the main thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom