Road Trip Foods

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:32 AM
As I mentioned earlier, we’re heading out on a little excursion tomorrow morning, driving about seven hours east.

MrsT likes to go, go, go, and I always want to stop for refreshments, so we’re compromising and packing a lunch. I asked her to let me know a “few things” she wanted, and this is what we’re packing…for lunch…for one lunch:

That’s grapes, cherries, two kinds of pickles, two kinds of olives, six kinds of salami, two kinds of cheese, radishes, cauliflower, celery, carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper…<takes deep breath>…crackers, powdered drink mix, M&M’s, trail mix, Munchos, Twizzlers, and about a hundred tea bags.

And I still have to make dip for the veg!

Granted, some of this will last past lunch, but most of that is intended for lunch. I didn’t bother to list the entire case of water we’re bringing, plus eight Gatorade bottles, and the half-n-half we’ll have to buy on the road, because we have just enough for tomorrow morning.

Keep in mind, too, that after tomorrow’s lunch, every meal for the next several days will be restaurant food, because that’s half the reason for going.

What are your road trip favorites to pack for snacking?

I don't tend to pack road food. I like to stop from time to time, and eat. It allows me to get out of the car, and turn off that strict attention to the road, and driving. That is hard t do if the dog is with me. I can still get my food, and eat it in a parked car.

CD

We love road trips!
On the last one, we were gone for 30+ days.

IMG_4784.JPG

I always pack 2-3 nights of frozen dinners ready for the hotel/motel micro to start us off, AND snacks galore and more, including: fruit, crackers, nuts, candies, cheese, salami, olives, drinks, paper plates, disposable cutlery, old kitchen towels to act as table clothes and napkins, our favorite coffee mugs and wine glass for moi, a case each of bottled water and wine, lunch fixin's for probably a week, always a thermos for coffee that I make in the hotel/motel room for the road (I have a mini Keurig that we bring along with pods, tea, cream and sugar), a box of dry breakfast cereal, pre-cooked Bacon, hard boiled eggs, bread, condiment packets that I've collected along the way ... and then re-stock along the way.
Each hotel/motel that we stay at I nick the disposable cups for snacks and drinks along the way.
Also, I have a travel knife, plastic-flexible cutting board, gallon and quart sized zip top bags (works for leftovers and ice for the coolers), a small container of dish soap ... basically a mini kitchen I love these plastic bins with handles, they work really well for my supplies).
Now, with all this said we have not traveled since 2019, life may be different when we do start to travel again.

I've never liked eating in the car/truck. There are food stalls every 50 metres along the roads here so snacks or even full meals are available. And convenience stores, 7-11 etc, are in abundance.

If we're driving more than 4 hours, we definitely stop for food, restroom, maybe some sightseeing. But if we're doing our normal run from South Florida to Central Florida (3.5 hours) then we just pack a bag of chips (Crisps for the brits out there) and fill our water bottles.
These are popular with us recently:
00829515300579_c1l1_vyojlkov2fooxcmx.jpg

They're easy to grab while still maintaining eyes on the road and a hand on the steering wheel.
I also indulge in the occasional Redbull just to keep my focus up.

Let's see - I often travel with hard boiled eggs, bananas, grapes (seedless), and pre-cooked meat muffins (which are made with ground meat, usually beef, and an equal amount of spinach). I may supplement with junk food potato chips. Depends on how far for all of that. I try to make my goal to bring along lunch meals, but eat something for dinner at a restaurant that sounds remotely interesting near the motel I might be spending the night at.

However, if my trip takes me past a certain Pennsylvanian Dutch place on Route I-78, I'll stop in for a tongue or salami sandwich, with mustard or horseradish sauce.

I should also make mention that for our "blast off morning" I prepare the night before a coupla breakfast sandwiches so that we can just GO! Along with a couple of bottles of juice to wash it down and thermal mugs of coffee for Mister and hot tea for moi.
We just love Road Trips!

As I mentioned earlier, we’re heading out on a little excursion tomorrow morning, driving about seven hours east.

MrsT likes to go, go, go, and I always want to stop for refreshments, so we’re compromising and packing a lunch. I asked her to let me know a “few things” she wanted, and this is what we’re packing…for lunch…for one lunch:

View attachment 85448

View attachment 85449

That’s grapes, cherries, two kinds of pickles, two kinds of olives, six kinds of salami, two kinds of cheese, radishes, cauliflower, celery, carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper…<takes deep breath>…crackers, powdered drink mix, M&M’s, trail mix, Munchos, Twizzlers, and about a hundred tea bags.

And I still have to make dip for the veg!

Granted, some of this will last past lunch, but most of that is intended for lunch. I didn’t bother to list the entire case of water we’re bringing, plus eight Gatorade bottles, and the half-n-half we’ll have to buy on the road, because we have just enough for tomorrow morning.

Keep in mind, too, that after tomorrow’s lunch, every meal for the next several days will be restaurant food, because that’s half the reason for going.

What are your road trip favorites to pack for snacking?
Granola bars, peanut butter and cheese crackers, and turkey and cheese sandwiches. Everytime. And water, of course, though I try to not drink much when driving because I don't want to stop and pee every 20 minutes!

I've never liked eating in the car/truck. There are food stalls every 50 metres along the roads here so snacks or even full meals are available. And convenience stores, 7-11 etc, are in abundance.
I'm with you on not eating in the car. We stop at a rest area and get out, stretch our legs, eat our snacks/lunch, and get back on the road.

Back
Top Bottom