11:15 AM
roast-chicken-superJumbo.jpg

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Ingredients;

1 2 - 3-lb frying chicken.
1 small onion. sliced.
1/2 bell pepper, sliced.
1 stalk celery, roughly cut.
1 carrot, peeled & roughly cut. Set these ingredients aside in large bowl.

1/2 stick butter, softened to room temp.
1 tablespoon oil.
1/2 teaspoon each; Sage, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Vinegar, Old Bay Seasoning, ground black pepper, Italian Seasoning & pinch of Cyan pepper or Cajon seasoning.

Directions;

Mix all these ingredients with the softened butter in a small bowl.

After thoroughly cleaning chicken, fold back the wings & with a pastry brush, smear the butter mixture all over the bird, top & bottom.

Place it on a rack in roaster or cast iron skillet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Breast side down. Season onion mixture with a little salt & pepper. place around chicken.

Place in hot oven. Roast breast side down for about 15 - 20 minutes. Turn chicken over & roast breast side up for another 15 - 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue roasting for another 50 minutes. Internal temperature should register about 160 degrees on a meat Remove chicken from oven & let it cool slightly before slicing.

You can make a gravy from the drippings to go over whatever starch you like. :wink:

roast-chicken-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:
Roast chicken is a winner! I cook roast chicken quite often as its great to use cold as well.

I was wondering what this meant. Here we are advised not to wash chicken.
Some people here rinse their chickens others don't.
I am going to try Shermie's method on the butter.
Though I think he means cayenne not cyan pepper.

Roast chicken is a winner! I cook roast chicken quite often as its great to use cold as well.

I was wondering what this meant. Here we are advised not to wash chicken.

When we were all home, mom always told us to wash the chicken. It was good practice, I don't mean to use soap like Ricky & Fred did on an ep of I Love Lucy. But thoroughly clean off any excess fat and guts in the backbone, then just rinse it off before preparing it for cooking. :wink:

Some people here rinse their chickens others don't.
I am going to try Shermie's method on the butter.
Though I think he means cayenne not cyan pepper.

Thanks! Not sure how to spell the word. Hah!! You can choose to use your own spices if you like. But this method is the best way for getting chicken where the skin is crispy, dry and golden brown & the inside is moist, tender & juicy!! :wink:

Last edited:
When we were all home, mom always told us to wash the chicken. It was good practice, I don't mean to use soap like Ricky & Fred did on an ep of I Love Lucy. But thoroughly clean off any excess fat and guts in the backbone, then just rinse it off before preparing it for cooking. :wink:
I've a relative who did that and then wondered why it tasted odd.

She never did work it out, but the soap had a habit of disappearing when she was preparing chickens.

Thanks! Not sure how to spell the word. Hah!! You can choose to use your own spices if you like. But this method is the best way for getting chicken where the skin is crispy, dry and golden brown & the inside is moist, tender & juicy!! :wink:
Well I had never heard of a blue pepper.:wink:

What do you do with the vegetables?

Throw them all away. I used the dripping and the veggies to help make the gravy after deglazing the roaster, then I poured the dark liquid through a sieve into the browned flour in the skillet. They're all burnt up anyway. :wink::headshake:

Throw them all away. I used the dripping and the veggies to help make the gravy after deglazing the roaster, then I poured the dark liquid through a sieve into the browned flour in the skillet. They're all burnt up anyway. :wink::headshake:
Darling,
How do they get burned? You said put them in a bowl. Do we put them in the chicken, in the butter or around the chicken?

Around the chicken.

They are only there to help season the chicken. & the drippings. :wink:

Rinsing is acknowledged as a dangerous practice. There was another thread which covered this.

Rinsing is acknowledged as a dangerous practice.

As was eating eggs only a few years ago............

My wife still washes chicken although I've ceased to do it unless it's been previously velvetted.

I think it may be time to roast a whole chicken in my new halogen.

Back
Top Bottom