Roast duck help

alexander

Über Member
Local time
11:40 PM
We have bought a duck for Christmas dinner. Its just for the two of us. I cooked duck before but with mixed results so any advice is welcome. I was thinking that cooking it slow is better. Also, I want to add fruit of some sort. The duck is from M&S and is not very big. I was thinking maybe oranges or apples.

I'm no expert where duck is concerned (although I can do a mean duck confit). I think cooking it slowly is best. You mentioned an Elizabeth David recipe in another thread, I think. Can you let us know what it says? I have a few Elizabeth David books. She is a bit forgotten, I think...

We have had duck several times and had no real problems [even I can be left to do it !] - what seems to be the problem ?

We have had duck several times and had no real problems [even I can be left to do it !] - what seems to be the problem ?
It seems to get a bit tough. Not sure if I'm cooking it too long or wrong heat.

Duck can be likened more to a game bird than a turkey for example - more bone in relation to flesh, so it doesn't need the very long oven times. If it's dry I suspect you've cooked it way too long. We usually cook on a rack over a tray [to let the fat drip clear of the bird - stops the bottom getting soggy] and keep checking for when it's cooked the recipes can be a little over long. It's not like a tough old chicken so it doesn't require looong cooking.

Back
Top Bottom