Recipe Roast Lamb and potatoes in Garlic and Lemon Sauce (Arni Psito me Patates)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
3:22 AM
12928359_10206427261423168_8248705566358716318_n.jpg

Whole Leg or shoulder of lamb
2 large onions, sliced
6 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped parsley

4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
Black pepper

Oven temp.: Very hot (240 C; 475 F; Gas Mark 9) reducing to moderate (180 C; 350 F; Gas Mark 4)

Mix lemon rind and pepper. Rub over lamb. Make small incisions in lamb and insert garlic slices. Place lamb skin side up in roasting tin. Melt butter and oil in a saucepan. Add lemon juice and 10 fl ozs of water and bring to the boil. Pour around lamb and place in very hot oven for about 20 mins. Reduce oven temperature to moderate and add onions, mushrooms and parsley. Roast for 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins. Baste fairly frequently.

I add plenty of potatoes cut small about an hour before end of cooking time and serve with plain, boiled rice and a green salad. Wrap well if storing in the refrigerator!

TIP: After grating the lemon rind and juicing the lemon, put the leftover lemon bits in a small bowl in the fridge - it takes away the smell of the garlic!

This was enough for 3 meals, 3 shepherds pies, and 4 thickly cut lamb sandwiches.

Looks fantastic! And thank you for posting the recipe. What consistency is the lemon sauce at the end of cooking?

Looks fantastic! And thank you for posting the recipe. What consistency is the lemon sauce at the end of cooking?
It is thin but full of flavour. In my opinion it would ruin it to thicken it up with flour, but you could pour it off and reduce it if you wanted to. I prefer it as is. It does almost solidify when it gets cold but I think that is because of the butter and oil in it rather than the lamb fat. The first 20 minutes as gas mark 9 gets rid of most of that :happy:. Funnily enough I just looked up the original recipe in my 1970 cookbook and it says 2 ozs oil or butter. I guess my recipe has evolved slightly! I would also point out that the potatoes are not crisp like English roast potatoes.

It is thin but full of flavour. In my opinion it would ruin it to thicken it up with flour, but you could pour it off and reduce it if you wanted to. I prefer it as is. It does almost solidify when it gets cold but I think that is because of the butter and oil in it rather than the lamb fat. The first 20 minutes as gas mark 9 gets rid of most of that :happy:. Funnily enough I just looked up the original recipe in my 1970 cookbook and it says 2 ozs oil or butter. I guess my recipe has evolved slightly! I would also point out that the potatoes are not crisp like English roast potatoes.
Yes - I understand the potatoes. In my version they are just soft. I think waxy potatoes work best.

Back
Top Bottom