Roasted Brusels sprouts

kgord

Veteran
Local time
6:40 PM
Have you ever tried roasting brussel sprouts? I have never done it before, but I am doing it for tonight's dinner. I will let you know how it turns out. I do like brussel sprouts and I am guessing roasting them with some olive oil and a bit of kosher salt will bring out the natural sweetness.

Have you ever tried roasting brussel sprouts? I have never done it before, but I am doing it for tonight's dinner. I will let you know how it turns out. I do like brussel sprouts and I am guessing roasting them with some olive oil and a bit of kosher salt will bring out the natural sweetness.
Yes, absolutely lovely unless you roast them too much! Easily done (and I've done that). :D There's a fine line between caramelised and burnt. Hope it went well.

Yes, they turned out pretty well. I would do it again. I was making some fish at the time, some of the prepared frozen kind, and they all got done about the same time, so I didn't have to have to dirty another pot, which is always good.:D

When I was in high school, out teacher used to tell us stories of her summer escapades. In one story, there was this camping by the hillside where they roasted a whole cabbage. That served as a side dish to the roasted birds that they hunted. When I had my own home, I tried that roasted cabbage and I was disappointed because the taste was blah. And since Brussels sprouts are miniature cabbage, does it taste better when roasted? But maybe the olive oil would do wonders for that because what I'm thinking is to roast a cabbage with butter.

I've roasted brussel sprouts before and have to say that they come out amazing. Most of the time I use a fresh bushel and toss them lightly in some olive oil, a little lemon juice and have fresh garlic accompany them during their roast. It's to die for.

I also recommend roasting onion. Slice it thickly like a steak and roast until golden brown. They melt in your mouth.

I am a lover of roasted veggies too - I never cared for brussels sprouts as a child (back when my mom would boil them!) but these days I love them. Just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper - easy peasy! I love doing roasted broccoli like that too. Another veggie that I didn't care for all that much as a child, but as an adult I just adore it!

Since I had brussel sprouts roasted that is my favorite way to eat them. They are so much better that way. I do roast most of my vegetables now. You have to watch them closely though because they do burn quickly. They are really good as a side to a nice steak or chicken breast. Now I want some. I will have to stop by the grocery store on the way home from work today and pick some up! :)

When I was in high school, out teacher used to tell us stories of her summer escapades. In one story, there was this camping by the hillside where they roasted a whole cabbage. That served as a side dish to the roasted birds that they hunted. When I had my own home, I tried that roasted cabbage and I was disappointed because the taste was blah. And since Brussels sprouts are miniature cabbage, does it taste better when roasted? But maybe the olive oil would do wonders for that because what I'm thinking is to roast a cabbage with butter.
Well, I thought they were pretty good. I like cabbage though, and brussel sprouts are baby cabbages, so since they are small the flavor is a bit more concentrated. I think there are lots of brussel sprouts and bacon recipes, some of of which require roasting.. I haven't tried those, but maybe for my next go round, I will try making something like that. I think I have had them like that on top of the stove.

I am a lover of roasted veggies too - I never cared for brussels sprouts as a child (back when my mom would boil them!) but these days I love them. Just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper - easy peasy! I love doing roasted broccoli like that too. Another veggie that I didn't care for all that much as a child, but as an adult I just adore it!
Yeah, I know, your tastes change a bit as you get older. I remember when I was young I hated tomatoes. They just seemed way too bitter to me. Now, I can't do without them. My neighbors used to eat them whole with salt. I admit, I still don't really like them well enough to do that, but on the other hand I have had a tomato sandwich with mayo, and those are awesome!:chef:

Well, I thought they were pretty good. I like cabbage though, and brussel sprouts are baby cabbages, so since they are small the flavor is a bit more concentrated. I think there are lots of brussel sprouts and bacon recipes, some of of which require roasting.. I haven't tried those, but maybe for my next go round, I will try making something like that. I think I have had them like that on top of the stove.

That mention of bacon reminds me of what my husband buys at Reyes Barbecue, a fast food specializing in barbecue. They have the roasted asparagus on a stick which is wrapped in bacon. The taste is quite okay with me but the texture is kinda tough. Maybe Brussels sprouts can also be roasted that way, wrapped in bacon. Another similar vegetable for roasting is the banana heart - the red variety. It is also roasted on fire and when cooked, there is a concoction for the dip to make it delicious because without the dip, the taste of banana heart is bland.

I love roasted brussel sprouts. I find them best parboiled first though. Chuck them on top of roast potatoes and butternut squash, tomatoes, onions, peppers, corn, a touch of chilli, some pecan nuts and a drizzle of oil and you're in heaven!

That does sounds pretty good Elawin. I should try something like that sometime. I don't buy squash all that much here, though. The summer squashes are cheap enough but the winter squashes tend to be a bit costly. I just don't buy them all that often. I would prefer to buy items to cook that are not that large either as I don't want to have tons of it left over.

I have never tried roasting Brussels sprouts either, and they are one of those veggies that people either love or can't stand. I personally like them when I cook them in chicken stock and add some bacon bits to them. I do hate the way they smell when they are being cooked.

That does sounds pretty good Elawin. I should try something like that sometime. I don't buy squash all that much here, though. The summer squashes are cheap enough but the winter squashes tend to be a bit costly. I just don't buy them all that often. I would prefer to buy items to cook that are not that large either as I don't want to have tons of it left over.
The first time I made it, I overdid it and there was enough for me and the mutt for four days so now I get a smallish butternut squash and it lasts us 2 or 3 days depending how much other veg I put with it. Last week I didn't have any squash at all; I used a sweet potato instead :happy:

I think it would be very good with sweet potato. I think they would be good in a stirfry too. Last night I had a stir fry with all traditional stir fry veggies, plus a bit of sausage and potato..I think some brussel sprouts might have been tasty in there too, but I had plenty of food. It was really super good, I was wondering why I had never thought to make it that way before.

Back
Top Bottom