SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:35 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe whilst looking for my Persian bean soup recipe from my Veggistan book which sadly it's in a shipping container being shipped from the UK to Australia. I had thought it would have been an ideal recipe for the current CookingBites recipe challenge but... instead I found this recipe which looks rather interesting, as does the website. Plus, an added bonus for me, the recipe is vegan!

It comes from this website, one now bookmarked! http://yummybeet.com/roasted-garlic-parsnip-white-bean-soup/

Parsnip and bean soup.jpg

Ingredients
  • 4-6 extra large cloves garlic, skin intact, left whole
  • 1lb parsnips (about 4), cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 onion, cut into rough pieces
  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 tbsp dried whole or fresh rosemary
  • ½ tsp to 1 tbsp sea salt (use enough to your taste)
  • Ground pepper, to taste
  • 1, 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed OR 2 cups cooked white beans
  • 6 cups no salt added vegetable broth
  • Water, as needed
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
  • Pumpkin seeds, to serve

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss garlic, parsnips, onion, oil, rosemary, salt (to taste), and pepper. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until garlic and parsnips are tender and turning golden.
  2. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins into a blender, along with roasted vegetables, beans, water or broth, and lemon juice (this may need to be done in 2 batches); purée until smooth, adding more water or broth if too thick (depends on dryness of parsnips). Or, add ingredients to a large pot and purée with an immersion blender.
  3. Transfer blended soup to a large pot. Heat over medium, stirring frequently so bottom doesn't scorch. Season with additional salt, if desired. Serve hot with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and drizzle of olive oil.

I don't think I need to test this one. Its so similar to something I do - except I add curry spices to my version - or if not, some grated nutmeg. Its a good recipe. The only comment I'd make is that if you roast 1 inch pieces of parsnips and whole garlic cloves for 45 to 55 mins at 400F (200C) then they are very liable to burn! I think it takes slightly less time on a slightly lower heat.

Back
Top Bottom