Recipe Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Local time
7:57 PM
We need some more pepper for The Cooking Bites Challenge and this right here might be good especially for those of you dealing with the cold weather.
53.jpg

Ingredients
  1. 6-8 Red Bell Peppers
  2. ½ an onion chopped
  3. 2 tablespoons olive oil
  4. 5 cloves of garlic
  5. 4 cups of vegetable stock
  6. 2 teaspoons hot sauce
  7. ½ teaspoon salt
  8. ½ teaspoon pepper
  9. ¼ cup sour cream
  10. 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Instructions
  1. Clean the bell peppers, cut them in half and remove the seeds and membranes.
  2. Place them on a baking sheet covered in foil, pressing them down to make them as flat as possible.
  3. Place the garlic cloves on the baking sheet among the peppers.
  4. Place the baking sheet of peppers and garlic under the broiler in the oven and broil for about 15 minutes until the skins are blackened.
  5. Remove from the oven and place the peppers inside a tupperware container, and close the lid. This will allow the steam to soften them more. Keep in there for another 15 minutes.
  6. While prepping the bell peppers, in a frying pan saute the onions with the olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
  7. After peppers have cooled enough to touch, about 15 minutes. Remove from the tupperware and peel off the burnt skin. It will peel off. (I only peeled the burnt parts that were easily removed and left the skin that was still red and attached).
  8. Place the bell pepper, garlic cloves, and onion into a food processor and processes for about 3-5 minutes until there are no large chunks left.
  9. Add the mixture to a large pot, add in the chicken stock, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and allow to simmer for another 20 minutes.Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream.
  10. Place the oregano in your hand and crush it up slightly to release the flavor and to make the pieces smaller, then pour into the pot.
  11. Stir until completely combined.
By Maria Moon
Adapted from Fit Girls Habits

Last edited:
Well from the looks of it, and going by the ingredients, this soup has to be rather peppery. I like the looks of it though. Maybe I would have to keep a glass of water handy to cool it down a bit. I would also soak some pieces of bread in it to make it easier to manage. However, some people do like a lot of pepper in their soup. I like just a moderate amount. I must say it is a lovely photo though.

I'd probably have to minimize or eliminate the hot pepper, but I love the idea of making this soup. Red is my favorite color of bell peppers, and I've never made a soup from them. The ingredients are pretty commonplace, so wouldn't be difficult to obtain. I don't normally keep vegetable stock on hand, but that's easily rectified. It might even be nice to make a mixed color version, as well.

We have here a region where people love chili, any kind of pepper is welcome to them. But their favorite is the small red pepper that is so hot. Actually it was touted to be hotter than the chili of Mexicans. But anyway, that pepper soup looks good although I don't have the intention of sampling that. Maybe I can cook that soup but with less red pepper so our stomach would not burn. And instead of hot sauce, maybe I would just add tomato sauce to give it a little sour taste and less hot.

Back
Top Bottom