Rogue items found in food

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
The other day I was driving on the motorway and as is my habit, munching on sweeties (candies in US). I only ever eat sweets when driving. I like hard gums such as Midget Gems and had a packet ready opened on the passenger seat so I could reach in to it without taking my eyes off the road. I reached into the pack and found something long and wriggly! Mild panic - I glance down and its a snake!

To be fair, it wasn't a real snake and it was made of gum (soft gum) but it was a bit of a shock whilst I was driving. Here is a photo:

20190513_111621.jpg

Now the thing is - the company (owned by Cadbury) do make a product called Silly Snakes. But what I can't understand is how such a different sized item can not be noticed (by humans or machines) on the production line.

I called the help-line and got profuse apologies and the promise of a voucher to compensate...

Have you ever found rogue items in food you have purchased?

rascal

Über Member
The other day I was driving on the motorway and as is my habit, munching on sweeties (candies in US). I only ever eat sweets when driving. I like hard gums such as Midget Gems and had a packet ready opened on the passenger seat so I could reach in to it without taking my eyes off the road. I reached into the pack and found something long and wriggly! Mild panic - I glance down and its a snake!

To be fair, it wasn't a real snake and it was made of gum (soft gum) but it was a bit of a shock whilst I was driving. Here is a photo:

View attachment 28154

Now the thing is - the company (owned by Cadbury) do make a product called Silly Snakes. But what I can't understand is how such a different sized item can not be noticed (by humans or machines) on the production line.

I called the help-line and got profuse apologies and the promise of a voucher to compensate...

Have you ever found rogue items in food you have purchased?
I too eat lollies / sweets/ candy. Also from the console between the seats. Never any odd things in my stuff.
Russ

rascal

Über Member
This made me think. My friend, an ex butcher, who had his own shop until 7 years ago. He used to,sell minced beef, on special at times. Anyway because I have been in volved with horses, I know of a company that buys horses to process for overseas markets. The company goes/ used to go under clover brand. I also used to buy horse meat for my dogs when I used to breed dogs.Anyway I was in his shop one day and I watched him put raw meat from a box of meat with the clover brand on it. Horse meat with beef mince. ? I asked him about it, he changed the subject. I never bought any meat off him again. I don't think customers would have liked it if they knew??

Russ

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
I asked him about it, he changed the subject. I never bought any meat off him again. I don't think customers would have liked it if they knew??
Yeah! There was a 'scandal' in the UK a few years ago where it was discovered that various ready-meals on sale in supermarkets were using horse meat instead of beef.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Site Owner
Staff member
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com

Mewmew

Iceland, wasn't it? Or Tesco.
I think it was Iceland
I knew it had to be one of the two. I was shocked when the report came out.
Actually out was both and two more were involved. Iceland, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi all withdrew products from shelving.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/16/horsemeat-burgers-supermarkets
It was however 6 years ago now.
Oh cripes, I forgot about Lidl and Aldi.

Top Bottom