Rolled Anchovies on Capers

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:40 AM
Anchoves rolled on capers are very difficult to find right now and when they are found, they are very expensive, best price I found is about $2.87 USD for 2 Oz. They are definitely hitting the luxury item pricing. If someone were to pick these little buggers for a challenge ingredient, the challenge would be dead before getting started.

As I said, I finally found some and ordered them, only available in a 10-pack of 2 Oz. tins in olive oil. The olive oil is standard for rolled anchovies on capers. So in a few days, I'll have 20 Oz. of these rare items.

What can they be used for? Caesar salads are nothing without them. They can be used on pizzas too, and crackers and beyond that, I'm left to being creative.

What would you use them for?

They are not easily found here in the UK. How do they come - in a tin or jar? I would think it easy to make them myself really (and cheaper!).

They could be used in all sorts of recipes but unless they are going to be served in their rolled form one might as well use capers and anchovies separately as ingredients. For example, there are quite a few pasta recipes which use capers and anchovies.

They are not easily found here in the UK. How do they come - in a tin or jar? I would think it easy to make them myself really (and cheaper!).

They could be used in all sorts of recipes but unless they are going to be served in their rolled form one might as well use capers and anchovies separately as ingredients. For example, there are quite a few pasta recipes which use capers and anchovies.

They come both in tins and in jars, depending upon the vendor. I found the ones in jars are more expensive still.

Yes, if you can get the capers separately, you can roll your own, but ... the last unrolled anchovies I got were very fragile and crumbled very easily. You would have to find a brand that had good solid anchovies.

full.jpg

Reese anchovies come from Spain.

Regards the photo of rolled anchovies - it looks like the capers are in the inside, and the anchovy is the next layer out. What are the layers (or is it just one more layer?) on the outside of the anchovy?

I have never seen these in the supermarket - and I do occasionally buy tinned anchovies, so it isn't entirely that I'm avoiding that aisle!

Regards the photo of rolled anchovies - it looks like the capers are in the inside, and the anchovy is the next layer out. What are the layers (or is it just one more layer?) on the outside of the anchovy?

I have never seen these in the supermarket - and I do occasionally buy tinned anchovies, so it isn't entirely that I'm avoiding that aisle!
The flat anchovies are simply rolled around the caper and these rolls are packed in the tin in olive oil.

Last edited:
I live here in Spain, and I have to say it's the first time I heard about them and the first time I see a tin of them. Capers are not very common to eat here however you can find them with no problem. Here we eat olives stuffed with the anchovies inside.
Since the anchovies were inside salt , I don't like to heat them (at least not too much), cause the anchovies lose their texture (will crumbled) and concentrate too much salt . If I use them in a pizza, I put them on, at last, when the pizza is out of the oven always. Sometimes, here I have found good anchovies with sunflower oil and cheaper, and I added them the olive oil later in the dressing. Cause the olive oil of the tin is not the same quality of an extra virgin olive oil that you can get in a bottle.
We combine them here cold with fresh tomato, oregano, basil, olives, toasts, fresh cheese, olive oil of course, lettuce...
Italians have a sauce called "Puttanesca" and they use anchovies to make it. And I also remember to have seen some of them mashed and added to mayonnaise to make a dressing.
If you can get fresh anchovies, they are much more cheaper, they are easy to make them at home, just with salt and oil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom